Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New m/b time help needed

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New m/b time help needed

what powersupply are you running the system on ?
and is the gt-610 an asus card ?
having done a quick search on the gt610 cards it seems that a defective vga output was / is a common problem with them, hopefully your new choice of card will be up to the task Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The psu came with the system, 500W. The GT610 had NO issues with the vga o/p. It is the onboard video R3000 that is the issue.
Since at the mo, the only things in the box are a br burner & a hdd and an ssd  it shouldn't be stressed.
nanotm
Pro

what you describe with the screen flickering sounds like the signal is messed up, I take it you tried swapping different monitors around to the various outputs
I say this because that would obviously eliminate the monitor as being the problem, of course if the problem transfers across monitors then it would indicate that the board output was faulty /
I'd still look at going down the xfire /sli route if you want to use multiple monitors using mixing different gfx could easily be causing the problem and those on board units are never up to much

btw as a side note I upgraded an old pc (phenom II x6 1055t/ asus-m4a89td pro/usb3 +16GB Kingston CL9 1333 ram) to asus-sabertooth 990fxR2.0 /amd fx-8350/8GB corsair vengeance 1866ram
the difference is quite staggering (I just swapped out the parts and reactivated existing windows install) now I can handbrake in 5 mins instead of 15 mins on a standard 5gb mkv file ......

and there's a noticeable performance improvement in gaming
although I kept the same gfx card, (sapphire R9-270x 2gb) Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star

At the mo there is ONLY the onboard graphics, I have the 20" connected to the vga port and the 22" connected via the hdmi adaptor. As I said it was rock solid on the old pc only thing changed is the pc.
Have switched them over and the issue moves, so vga port issue.
Hopefully the new card will fix these errors. And allow me to play some games again.
IF I had the money then yes a nice shiny m/b with 16Gb of oc ram & a crossfire setup would be great, but I am already 50% over my meagre budget. (sounds like a government project!)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried http://testufo.com/#test=framerates

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Hairy
but I am already 50% over my meagre budget. (sounds like a government project!)

well when asked you can say you used the governments tried and test financial formula for budgetary matters and feel like you have achieved the best value outcome particularly given the shifting goal posts and projected lifespan of the new equipment despite not achieving initial financial goals you have however achieved the best overall end point (just make sure its insured for when the grandkids tip juice in the back of it whilst your busy on the forums)

of course for maximum delivery its best at this point for the relative equipment to start smoking /hissing and then either emit a loud bang or burst into flames  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just doing a handbrake conversion, mp4 to mkv 3.5Gb looking at 15 min, not bad at all.
My android tv box doesn't like mp4 in high format, so need to convert to mkv's in normal.
VileReynard
Hero

Changing the frame rate from 23.something to standard 25 takes longer!

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I never bother changing the frame rates, all my tv's have been fine with them at what ever they were.
nanotm
Pro

same I just save my files as mkv's with ac3 passthrough
most of the devices round the house can then view them from usb drives /card readers and play them back, only 3 junk TV's struggle with it but there all connected to other stuff that can handle the process like an xbox360 so its all good from my viewpoint
only thing I don't like about handbrake is all the log files it creates reducing its operating time, I have to delete them or it can take up to a minute for the source /save selections to be actioned .....
no idea why it creates the files though but there damn big (last list was 3 gig in size from about  45 movies) strange ness....
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I use the cli version, not sure if it creates log files, not in the local folder anyway.
Or ffmpeg depending on whether it is a movie or a tv short (ffmpeg for tv stuff hb for the movies)
nanotm
Pro

c:/user/username/appdata/roaming/handbrake/logs
is where I find them
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just checked the wiki
On Linux & cli
Log data is output to Standard Error
in the gui
it is saved in .config/ghb (just where I thought I would find it NOT).
Checked and there are some old logs there, so time to add a cron job to delete them.
VileReynard
Hero

No need - it seems to keep about a months worth & auto deletes old logs.
They are very small logs anyway.
About 10K each.  Grin

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just been playing with handbrake. In the advanced menu is an option that says where then how long the logs are kept.