Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPlayer format

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: New iPlayer format

Have you ever tried to watch snooker in monochrome TV?
Very challenging  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is behind the green............... Crazy

But back on iPlayer, the HD version works very well on my Windows 7 test system.
So I bought a DVI-D to HDMI cable which has just arrived and will see if I can get it on my TV later. Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

more on the quote
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennysarmy/3373835892/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Lowe
Lowe had the occasional on-air gaffe, similar to motor racing commentator Murray Walker; Lowe's most famous quote was, "for those viewers watching in black and white, the pink ball is just behind the green" and he once told viewers that Fred Davis, struggling to rest one leg on the edge of the table in order to reach a long shot, "is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting his leg over
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
bought a DVI-D to HDMI cable
Which seems to work fine.
Plenty of messing about to get the correct (optimum?) display settings for the TV and still need to sort out the sound link properly.
The picture quality of an HD iPlayer program doesn't look significantly different to normal broadcast Freeview though.
HPsauce
Pro

All now working rather well once I'd sorted out the arcane options for analogue and digital sound in both the PC and the TV, and then found the best display settings.
Streaming HD at about 3.5mbps works fine on my 21mbps ASDSL2+ connection and it's a bit better than a "good" Freeview broadcast (not all Freeview channels are broadcast at the best quality) but not like "proper" broadcast HD.
I wouldn't try it on T*****i though  Lips_are_sealed
And a 30-minute program is almost 1GB either downloaded or watched online so heavens only knows what this will do to ISP backbone capacity.  Crazy
pcoventry
Grafter

Last time I tried to watch TV in general it was challenging. 168 channels all full of pants stuff.
Not renewing my TV licence although I did get the iplayer to work in HD and it was very good.
One thing though. The iplayer is on virgin media's on demand service. I wonder as they are not interested in HD channels but are interested in on demand content if they will actually allow the Iplayer to be HD on their service.?
scootie
Grafter

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Actually, has anyone had a look at http://freetube.110mb.com/
There are hundreds of TV channels (plays in a medium size box on your screen).
All free.
There even seems to be some free "Adult Content" channels especially for Jacqui Smith and family.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

i had problems streaming even the low q feed on 21cn the other night it was maxing on my line at 100kB/s and low q feed wouldnt even play and i got pop up say lack of bandwidth test here and this is what i got on it.