Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New iPlayer format

I am not sure about this though
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I haven't managed to resize the viewing window in Firefox - has anyone managed it
scootie
Grafter

streaming played perfect in ie8 for me last night oldjim very impressed. it max's my line out tho even tho it says its a 1500kbps stream.
installed the abobe air downloader and seems they have done away kservice Smiley no uploading happing any more
scootie
Grafter

take it your trying to resize by this button oldjim?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's all lies about HD on Linux!
You have to load some Adobe crudware.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Oh bugger - I didn't see that button
I now have another problem Kaspersky is very unhappy with the registry values it keeps trying to change (email settings Thunderbird) I have raised that one in the Kaspersky Forums
scootie
Grafter

its only adobe air afoxisevil. all ready had it on all my windows machines anyway.
works fine in FF oldjim just tested it out
flash version 10.0.22.87
edit:  Grin Grin took me a wee while when i was playing with the streams  in the early hours half a sleep
VileReynard
Hero

Adobe used to be quite good.
Now they keep issuing pdf readers in ever increasing bloatiness.
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/20/1525233
"Security companies warn of a new flaw in version 9 of Adobe Reader and Acrobat that could compromise PCs merely by the opening of a malicious PDF. Although attacks are not yet widespread, hackers are exploiting the flaw in the wild, gaining control of computers via buffer overflow conditions triggered by the opening of specially crafted PDFs." Adobe is calling the flaw "critical" and says a patch for Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 will be released by March 11.
"Sourcefire security researcher Lurene Grenier has published a home-brewed patch for the critical Adobe Reader vulnerability that hackers are exploiting in the wild using malicious PDF files, beating Adobe Systems Inc. to the punch by more than two weeks. Grenier posted the patch on Sunday with the caveats that it applies only to the Windows version of Adobe Reader 9.0 and comes with no guarantees. Also, PhishLabs has created a batch file that resets a Windows registry key to de-fang the hack by disabling JavaScript in Adobe Reader 9.0, giving administrators a way to automate the process."
"eWeek is reporting that just as everyone is buzzing about the latest Adobe vulnerability, someone poisoned ads hosted by Ziff-Davis with an older Adobe exploit (affecting versions 8.12 and earlier, and long since patched). Z-D fixed the problem less than 24 hours after its first appearance. The interesting bit of this is that a bunch of people probably got hit with the old Trojan when they browsed to a story about the new one."

I'm used to loading software from secure sites.
I don't use acrobat for pdf reading - in any case I can download DRM-free iplayer content which is at least VHS quality.
It looks "OK" on a 22" wide-screen display.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Fixed the Kaspersky problem - it was unhappy with it reading confidential registry keys - told it to ignore those keys
grimme
Grafter

@axisofevil
I tried the Linux downloading of some BBC iplayer content over the weekend and it downloaded/installed Adobe Air before it would start the download.
(Annoying as I usually use a Live Cd/USB when I try these things out )
I thought the BBC had fixed any download holes in the iplayer though?
VileReynard
Hero

.Well no - I've download Charlie Brooker's Newswipe program - without DRM for the last 5 episodes.  Smiley
It's a h264 format intended for the iPhone - but perfectly watchable full screen at 1600 x 1050.

Not applicable

Sorry for going off topic but can we assume(by the name change) that axis is busy watching the snooker in Sheffield?  Huh
VileReynard
Hero

Sorry poppy.
When they first put snooker on, I used to watch it, but it's all a bit boring these days.
It's a reference to our Glorious Leaders' "crucible of terror"

James
Grafter

I actually leanrt how to add up from watching the snooker from an age of about 3 or 4 Smiley