Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hard drive

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

New hard drive

Going to have a shot at putting a hard drive In my pc tomorrow, I have ubunut already on another drive. The drive I'm putting in also had ubuntu on. I'm thinking after fitting just boot with the cd and format the drive because both will have a boot record on! Also one is pate and one is sata I think so how should the master slave bit be set, any tips?
37 REPLIES 37
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New hard drive

You don't (can't) set master/slave on SATA.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Dependant on you bios it may boot from the s/pata first. You may have to change the boot order to get it to boot from your original drive.
As to formatting it - just install it then run gparted from the working system and wipe the new drive - I assume you want to wipe it or just the boot sector?
Then you need to install it in to fstab so it will be added where you want it,, under your home folder - under mnt etc.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Dependant on you bios it may boot from the s/pata first. You may have to change the boot order to get it to boot from your original drive.

This was the trouble I had last time I couldn't get it too boot from the right drive.
As to formatting it - just install it then run gparted from the working system and wipe the new drive - I assume you want to wipe it or just the boot sector?

The drive is new, I had it on an old system at work which went kaput, Yes I want to totally wipe it and throw it in my system at home to store my movies on and free up a bit of space on my system drive. Will it be ok just booting up the machine to run gparted when I have two drives with a boot record on?
Then you need to install it in to fstab so it will be added where you want it,, under your home folder - under mnt etc

Embarrassed I'll try and understand that bit, little surfing need me thinks.
You don't (can't) set master/slave on SATA.

Ok thanks what about the PATA?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Taking them in reverse.
Your PATA wants to be Master with any cd/dvd drive as slave or on the second controller (if any)
Is the NEW drive SATA or PATA?
As to 2 boot records, they don't care, if you have several OS's you can have several boot partitions.
Does your BIOS allow you to specify the HDD to boot from or is it just HDD/CD etc? If the later then you NEED to install grub on to the boot drive and get it to start the "correct" drive. I had to do this a few years ago when I introduced a SATA drive into a PATA system.
Lets work on getting the system booted first.
Then we can make the new drive appear as /home/AWB/Movies or whatever.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Is the NEW drive SATA or PATA?

PATA that's the one with the big cable right, that's the new drive going in. It already has sata (small red cable) installed.
Does your BIOS allow you to specify the HDD to boot from or is it just HDD/CD etc?

I can pick which to boot from in the bios, if I remember right last time when I installed the drive the system wouldn't boot up and I couldnt find both drives at the same time in bios. Only the pata showed up until it was disconnected then the other would appear.
Lets work on getting the system booted first.

Roger that! I'm at work taking the drive out at the moment and the going to get a bios battery, I'll swap that out  while the sides off. Will be home shortly.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ok as long as we can get both drives in then choose the SATA as the boot drive, everything should boot fine.
Then when we get the system booted we can re-partition the new drive (this deletes the boot sector as well) and label it as "Movies" or something (I use Avi)
Then open your fstab (gksudo gedit /etc/fstab) and add the following at the end:-
LABEL="Avi"			/home/AWB/Avi   ext4	relatime,noatime,data=writeback,commit=60,nobarrier	0	2

Change the label and the mount point to suit your system. If you didn't use ext4 to format it change that as well.
Then you should create the folder (if it doesn't exits) and issue a
sudo mount LABEL="Avi"

in a terminal and it should mount it (again change the label to suit)
Then after a reboot it will automount it to the folder for you.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Its booting to the old linux off the old system can't see a choice of hard drives in the bios.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

By old linux I assume you mean off the pata drive?
If that is the case then you will need to boot from a live cd and wipe the drive then look at (re-)installing grub to boot to the second drive.
The bios doesn't offer booting from scsi does it that sometimes = sata.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I cant believe I just fitted a pata hard drive from another computer and everything works  Grin Now I just need to boot from the right drive!  I think I did see scsi Ill reboot and check
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks m8 we in scsi it is.  Wink Now then I want to format the drive and call the folder something like Media Server with sub folders pics/music/video so hopefully I can add that folder to ps3 media server share.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ok you lost me there  Smiley I put gksudo gedit /etc/fstab into a terminal and a note pad file as opened up saying....
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>  <type>  <options>      <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc          proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0      0
/dev/sda1      /              ext4    errors=remount-ro 0      1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=b1f0fbd9-1516-4c2f-b471-39f02f88efe0 none            swap    sw              0      0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0      0
Where do I add the other code into the terminal as well or the note pad?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK lets do it step by step.
1. make a folder called Media Server in your home folder (using nautilus or on the terminal, if on the terminal you will need to use quotes or a \ as below)
2. run gparted and delete/make a single partition and give it a label of "Media" with a format of ext4
3. at the end of the fstab enter the line
                                  LABEL="Media" /home/AWB/Media\ Server  ext4 relatime,noatime,data=writeback,commit=60,nobarrier 0 2
    and save it                                                                        ^ NOTE the \ between the Media and Server
4. on the terminal enter mount LABEL="Media", and it should mount it to your Media Server folder
Then make your individual folders and point the ps3 media server at them.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

let me get this so after formatting which its on with now I type
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab  (into the terminal?)
LABEL="Media"         /home/AWB/Media\ Server   ext4   relatime,noatime,data=writeback,commit=60,nobarrier   0   2 (I guess I put neil instead of awb right also in terminal or note file?
I also cant get rid of the 2 swap file that's still on there!

HairyMcbiker
All Star

You put the LABEL etc in the note file.
you have 2 swap files, in gparted right click on them and choose unmount then make a NEW PARTITION TABLE then a new partition of the whole drive.
If they will not unmount then we need to investigate,
Also make sure you label the new partition or we can't use LABEL and have to use uuid which is a pita.