cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New drive: New partition = numerical nighmare

Razer
Grafter

New drive: New partition = numerical nighmare

I have a number of drives with a number of partitions across each of them.  I wish to move one partition of 10GB (Properties show as 9.99GB) = 10,733,989,888 bytes) over, via my disk sector backup, to a new partition on a new drive.
Create a 10GB partition on the new drive and I check straight away because I know the figures have to match. New partition of 10GB (Properties show as 9.99GB) = 10,733,957,120 bytes.
Naturally, I cannot copy my backup over because the new partition is fractionally too small. I cannot fathom why my system is creating this new 10GB partition short by some bytes on this new drive alone and it's driving me insane. Any other drive I have always matches the first set of numbers if I make any number of 10GB partitions.
7 REPLIES 7
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: New drive: New partition = numerical nighmare

Is there any free space adjacent to the partition? If you create a partition in 10GB of space, it will be slightly smaller (as you probably already know Wink ) There are also differences between older and newer drives in the way partitions are aligned to the "notional" sector/track/...  boundaries (I often find one "track"/8MB unusable as a result). Your partitions are 32MB (nominally 4 tracks) different Shocked
It's a while since I used Acronis/Ghost, but I thought you could let them create a suitable partition for you (adding "empty" sectors if required).
Edit: Since the partitioner usually creates a partition "largest not greater than", add 28 or 32MB to the requested size!
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I agree it's probably related to the alignment of the partition. Newer drives might be "Advanced Format" and use 4096 byte sectors instead of 512.
Razer
Grafter

Hi gents and thanks for your replies. Yes, I am trying to create the partition at the beginning of the disk, intending then to create a second using the rest of the disk. It's still not working out. If I try to add 28MB to the size, it comes out at 10,766,856,192 - too large. But I found that if I create a second partition in the middle of the disk (where I don't want it), that comes out at the right size. I don't get it. I wonder if I create it in the middle at the right size and then use a program to move the partition, will it then reduce the size for some weird reason.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe not ideal but what if you try to create a 32MB partition at the beginning of the disk then try again creating your 10GB partition immediately after that (as you said it would create the right size in the middle of the disk)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

If the above doesn't work, then I could try that, thanks. I might even shove it to the end of the drive. I'll have to have yet more playing around to see what I can sort out.
On another note, really needing to use another backup utility I tried Redo Backup Live. Has anybody made use of it? It's a sort of limited Linux distro that runs from CD, purely focused on backup and disk management. I tried it out yesterday, created a backup of an OS partition and then restored it to the new drive. It didn't let me choose the already created partition, only the disk, and when it was done it had created two differently sized partitions at the beginning of the drive, which were reported to be 'misaligned', placed the OS on a third partition and left the rest of the disk unallocated. Totally screwed things up and my system wouldn't boot afterwards. Fortunate for me that the CD contains the disk management software too, so I was able to delete all of these newly created partitions and then boot as normal. GRRR computers.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I find it best not to bother with different partitions these days. Years ago I used to have loads of them spread across various disks and I used to have multiple operating systems installed with XOSL as the boot loader but eventually it became a lot of hassle.
Now I just use the whole disk and stick stuff in folders. If I want to run another system I do it in a virtual machine instead. I've lost far less data like this. I remember one partition getting knackered years ago and I lost 17GB of data. That was a turning point for me and despite still using partitions I decided that their future was limited. When virtual machines became available I switched to those for running other systems. Now if I need any more disks I'll either install them or use usb drives.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

We do what works for us. I always try to keep partitions to a minimum, but sometimes, short of having or being able to use extra disks, partitions is the better answer.