cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New desktop supplier

RobDickson
Grafter

New desktop supplier

I want a new desktop PC, but want one without any OS installed on it. I haven't got time to buy the bits myself, so want to buy one ready-made. My local PC shop has just closed down, so I wondered whether anybody knows of anywhere to buy a new PC without any OS installed on it (or with an open-source OS installed on it, so I can install WinXP instead).
I've tried Dell. It sells laptops with Linux installed, but it doesn't sell desktops without Windows. I would try Watford Electronics, but it's messed me around a lot in the past.
Thanks in advance.
Rob
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: New desktop supplier

have a look at http://www.micom.co.uk
I have had 3 PC's from here configured without an OS and haven't had any issues.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/
Seems to be quite good at first glance. Lets you choose the full specs, including OS and other software.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't use them as I build my own but a couple of friends are very happy with.
Perhaps the fact that if anything goes wrong it is only a short drive to them.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I got mine from http://www.arbico.co.uk/ - they seem to have expanded since then.
Some PC's are offered with a choice of Windows Vista or XP, but some are offered with no OS. Smiley
Who wants Windoze anyway?
The website allows you to customise and they will help on the phone if you want to add some different/extra options.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MrC
Grafter

I've bought a few desktops and laptops for myself and others through Novatech, as well as numerous parts. Their PC/laptop basic price is without any OS. Not had any problems with them (so far Smiley ).
Mike
Mav
Fixes: 514

Or you could source all the parts you want online and get a local, reputable, PC shop to build it. I think a reasonable charge for this is around £35.
When I've been stuck for time/inclination I have got my local dealer to do upgrades for me even though I have bought the parts elsewhere. Very friendly help and support as well if needed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mav
Or you could source all the parts you want online and get a local, reputable, PC shop to build it. I think a reasonable charge for this is around £35.

You'd have to be lucky?  The going rate to keep your head profitably in the black is around £40 per hour?  If all goes well, you might do it in an hour - but s$d does have a habit of dropping in with one or more component failing.  What happens then - you get your part assembled machine back, plus the bill for work done so far.  There's no margin in it for the PC Shop? Crazy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

You could try PowerC
Your choice of bits and the level of assembly and testing you want, with or without O/S.
I've used them for two personal Machines and an LCD over the last few years and also for around 20 PC's for a local charity I help - three batches over 5 years.
Had the occasional early life failed H/W problem, but very rapid resolution with no fuss.  Delivery is fast, and is included in the price above £50.
EXAMPLE:  Ordered 19" LCD monitor at around 14:00 and paid by Credit Card - delivered next day at 10:15.  Up and running on system by 10:45!
Just a satisfied customer. Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rich
Grafter

I've had no problems with barebones units from Novatech, and can also recommend http://www.cclonline.co.uk.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks everybody for all your replies. I had a good feeling about Micom when I called up and spoke to somebody, so ordered from it yesterday.
I prefer the idea of getting my local PC shop to make the PC, but it's just closed down and I don't think there are any others near me.