cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer in first 10 days

bcuyler
Dabbler

New customer in first 10 days

I'm having issues with 1 device disconnecting several times a day.  Please can somebody make suggestions as its only 1 device could it be some sort of incompatibility issue with the router?

I had a period of around 3 days it was stable but back to disconnects

16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New customer in first 10 days

If you look back through this forum you will see that from time to time people report WiFi problems.  Typically these problems are with the Plusnet-supplied router but then this is a Plusnet forum.    

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

plunet routers are fine until you use them for wifi Tongue Might be worth trying a new router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Might be worth saying what the device is, and what router you have.

Some apple devices don't like the ssid being the same for 2.5 and 5Ghz so an easy fix is to add a 5 to the 5Ghz one and unticking the sync with 5Ghz on the 2.4 setup.

bcuyler
Dabbler

The device is a laptop, and the router is the hub one.  other devices stay connected but in the 10 minutes I have been home the laptop which is my main device has disconnected 3 times with a no internet message I have to disconnect and reconnect.

bcuyler
Dabbler

This is becoming really annoying... any advice?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Even if it isn't an Apple device , did you try Mustrums suggestion ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bcuyler
Dabbler

I hadn't but have just tried it now.  I only have 1 device, an amazon box that connects with 5ghz.  Fingers crossed it makes a difference

bcuyler
Dabbler

First disconnect  sigh.. This stuff was all really stable on my old isp Sad

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried changing wireless channels, could be that the Hub one is using a different channel to your old router. Try using something like InSSIder http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/download/networking-tools/inssider-438-715/ to see if there are nearby networks on the same channel. Channels 1,6 & 11 are the only non overlapping channels, pick one of those with the least interference form nearby ones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Which router did you have with your last ISP? Could it be used on PN?

Most ISP supplied routers are not great, I had similar issues with a wireless printer, so used a Netgear router which cured my problem.

However given that it is just one device that is causing you issues, have you checked it? Has it got all the updates and latest drivers?

Have you used a WiFi analyser to ensure you are using the best Wifi channels? Are you connecting on the 2.4 or 5Ghz channels? Will it connect on the other ones? Is the router in the best place for maximum WiFi coverage?

A few thoughts for you to consider.

bcuyler
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.  The laptop has a broadcom 802.11n network adapter I don't think its capable of connecting at 5ghz I don't know how to check anyway.  

I have checked for update/drivers and it says up to date.

My old isp was Sky I believe their router is locked so I cant use it on PN.

The link that was provided wants me to register the software and there was no trial code or license code to be found.

I'm sorry if I sound dense i've never encountered these issues before my net has always just worked.

Is there another program I can use to do a similar function.. blindly swapping to another channel to see if that helps.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Try this link http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html for inssider or if you've got an android phone/tablet then https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en or this claims to be a windows app https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/wifi-analyzer/9nblggh33n0n

bcuyler
Dabbler

Thanks for the links.  the most congested channels are 1 and 6 only 1 network on 11 that was the channel I was on previously.  I have moved to 6 now and it hasn't disconnected yet touch wood! Could there be an issue on that channel in the area? It seems under utilised.

bcuyler
Dabbler

Ok that didnt fix it, Ive switched off the AC 5ghz  fingers crossed again