Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer advice?

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

New computer advice?

Im looking into a new computer, Ive previously had a barebones form Novatech, any comecnt on this/ or any other better value deals out there?
current system:
intel core 2 duo, 1.87ghz
4GB Ram ( not sure on speed, but not that fast )
AMD 6700 Graphics card 1GB Ram DDR5
samsung 840 series SSD, 120GB ( main boot/os)
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332  1TB drive ( documents/files etc etc)
windows 7 home premium retail version
Thinking of upgrading to this:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/barebones/bb-83208b.html and adding:
the hard drives form my current p.c
The Os from my current p.c
the graphics card from my current P.C
any thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New computer advice?

The question is what are you using it for which requires the extra power
The interesting part is that is very close to my spec - your present one that is and the only thing I have found which was CPU limited was Thief 4 - it really needs a quad processor but since I am very unlikely to play it again (it has no replay value in my opinion) I decided not to bother
pint
Aspiring Pro

video editing/processing mostly.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Got my last computer from Novotec and no problems with it so my intention was to order another one from them.
Now this might be unfair of me but I phoned their helpline for some technical advice and after half an hour of a recorded message hung up.
I Then phoned their order line but this time the recorded message said leave your number and we will get back to you in 30 minutes, some three hours later they did phone back but it didn't give me much confidence in their service so ordered from another supplier.
I Have a 3 year warranty on the computer I got from them but they don't seem to be the easiest firm to contact equally I might have been unlucky or their phone lines are jammed with customers ordering computers
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Novatech, is "just down the road" from me ( well, about 15 miles)... I went there one Saturday and bought a new HDD., chuffed to bits, got it home, and spent the next 14 hours trying to get it to accept Windows .... it would run through the startup/install procedure, then just hang, and do nothing for a couple of hours.... so on Sunday, I took it back, complete with a diary record of what I did, the times I did stuff, and other comments.... The guy behind the counter said that I had to leave it with him, and he would send it off to the manufacturers , for me,.. ( how kind )... and I should buy another one... if they decided it was not duff, I would get it returned to me....
NO WAY.. I said... Sale of Goods Act..... YOU are MY supplier, and YOU deal with it.... I do not deal with the Manufacturer through you... and quoted chapter and verse... he was adamant... so I Demanded to see his manager... had a long wait.. ( intended to wear me down, or make me go away)... eventually, I did see this manager, who came up with the same story.... I was determined to get it replaced and stood my ground... arguing very loudly, in front of other customers about the consumer rights, etc.... after 2.5 hours he gave in, and replaced it... I wrote to the Managing director and he agreed with me, about my rights, and apologised.....
I would not use Novatech again., for anything after being treated like that.....
pint
Aspiring Pro

Thnaks for the info, my current system was a bare bones fom novatech, and i since purchased a few other components from them with no trouble, a faulty graphics cards was also returned to them and dealt with well.
What im after is a new traditional type  tower unit/case+motherboard+Ram+cpu and power suply ( although the psu is not essentail ) all semi assemebled or as a kit  preferably cpu+heatsink+motherboard assemebled ( not too keen on cliping the cpu in as with my limited previous expeirieince ive had to use a fair amount of force )
Ive had a look at a few other places (Scan/Dabs/CCL) but novatech seem to be the only ones - unless ive not looked in the right places, any one else out there who offer a simalar thing?Huh
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I like OC UK
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2512
i have also used Aria
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Barebones+Systems
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .