Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer Security

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

New computer Security

OK,
So you are sitting there with your new computer, nothing preloaded but you have a windows disk which you load up before going on line do download a firewall and  anti-virus program and therein lies the problem.
During the downloading of these programs you have no protection at all so what is the solution (other than purchasing such a program, which you might not wish to continue using anyway) ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
Denzil
Grafter

Re: New computer Security

If you have a Windows installation CD it will at least have the Windows firewall, (unless you are trying to install an old version ), so that will give you some protection. Also, if you have a reasonably modern router they have built in firewalls as well. As for AV, if the first thing you do is download an AV package then no virus has the opportunity to get in before you install it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or get a magazine like PC Utilities, it has lots of firewall and antivirus programs on its free DVD
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about you, but my router/gateway has a perfectly good firewall which if properly configured should give you enough protection while downloading the utilities you are suggesting.
Also if you set the Plusnet firewall up for "HIGH" protection, then that will make it even more secure !  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could make it a dual boot Linux system to allow safe access to the internet.
Only joking, of course!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=A Fox is Evil ]Only joking, of course!
What he meant to say was if you use Linux instead of Windows, you would never have to worry about anti-virus software, or having your PC infected with malware !  Wink
VileReynard
Hero

I have to tread carefully. Smiley
I have recently been banned by a moderator for 24 hours for a perfectly proper post, relating to feedback on Plusnet, on the grounds that I am a mythical creature who can be found under bridges.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Would that have been "billy goat gruff "  ?  Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero

In the story, the billy goats do deal with the same mythical creature.  Grin Grin Grin
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Billy_Goats_Gruff

avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
OK,
So you are sitting there with your new computer, nothing preloaded but you have a windows disk which you load up before going on line do download a firewall and  anti-virus program and therein lies the problem.
During the downloading of these programs you have no protection at all so what is the solution (other than purchasing such a program, which you might not wish to continue using anyway) ?

As long as you're using a router and not a USB style modem (or a router that requires you to set up PPPoE in windows) you're effectively shielded by the router (unless you've put your internal IP in the DMZ), so all you have to worry about whilst installing the updates is getting infected from anyone sharing your network.
You'll still be vulnerable to 'drive by download' attacks, so I'd just keep hitting windows update until it stops coming up with any new updates, and then go hunt your firewall/AV/AM of choice (using Firefox).
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)