cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New case, no boot

David_W
Rising Star

New case, no boot

My brother bought me a new case for Christmas. I've put the correct standoff in and put the motherboard in. On power up the psu, CPU and case fan spin up, hard drives too, but the system doesn't boot. I've tries another VGA card with no joy. I've resat the ram with no joy. I'm out of ideas as to why it won't boot up. Any suggestion?
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: New case, no boot

go and have a few glasses of wine and try tomorrow
David_W
Rising Star

I like that suggestion! Unfortunatly I don't drink Sad though this problem may drive me to it!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

check for a sticking on/off switch
David_W
Rising Star

Switch is fine, turns on and off, the wires (hdd led, reset etc..) bits are all plugged in properly too.  I'm going to have to try removing and reseating the motherboard, and if that doesn't work maybe treat myself to a new CPU/Motherboard, the Pentium Dual Core E6500 seems reasonable, though its Xmas so everywhere is closed till 2010, arghhh (and PC world is too expensive)
Tore the speaker out of my old case, and it does appear that the system is posting, I get one tick (the on tick, should be a beep though!) then a bit later, 2 beeps, unfortunately I can't seem to find anything related to two beeps, and without video its impossible to see what the computer is saying is wrong!  I hate computers, back to google and 2 beeps!
And another edit, apparently 2 beeps is CMOS issue, so I shorted the reset, the beeps went away and still no joy, so I got the E6500, it's really hard to find a semi-decent 755 motherboard that does > 4GB ram!  Even ones with 4 slots can only go 4gb, whats the point in a 64bit CPU and a motherboard that is limited to 4gig ram?  Expecting delivery 2010, so am stuck using my laptop, going to find my nice server 2008 install CD and have a play I guess.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I had a similar problem with a motherboard, I replaced the PSU (ONLY) and it wouldn't boot after that. Went back to old PSU and still no boot  Crazy
Blew about £30 on a new mb & cpu and haven't re-tested it since. May have a look if I can find my pci post tester (NIce kit but TOO small I keep loosing it among the junk on my desk :D)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Most motherboards take power from a 20/24 pin connector AND a 4 pin connector.  Any chance you forgot to connect the latter?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Worth a check that, also some mb's need 2x4pin connections
David_W
Rising Star

My motherboard takes the standard+4 PSU connector which is plugged in, along with the 6 pin I think it is, everything was plugged in properly.  I guess it got damaged in the transfer, or something shorted and without a POST diagnostic tool I'll never know what caused it, but buying a device for one time use is.... probably a good idea!
-edit
I think I may have found the root cause of the problem.
IMG_0013 is a little, err thing, transistor? Capacitor?  Something, that I only found after removing my old board to put in my new board, so I figure I tore it off when trying to insert my videocard, unfortunatly its impossible to be gentle when inserting a videocard, but I was a lot more careful with my new motherboard.
IMG_0007 is my set up, isn't it neat and tidy!  My motherboard arrived today, my CPU (ordered from the same supplier) is still being "picked" so hopefully will arrive tomorrow, then I can see if it actually works or not Shocked