New Windows 7

There is a full video of windows 7 here

>

worth a look to see what the next O/S will be like. Bring back OS/2 I say
19 REPLIES 19
pd
Grafter

Re: New Windows 7

Looks like we'll need a cray by the time Windows 8 gets here.  I'll be sticking with XP for as long as I can, I've only had it about 12 months or so.  I was running 98SE until I was forced to upgrade for some program I needed to run.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
Bring back OS/2 I say

OS/2 lives (for some value of lives).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Still alive and kicking - http://www.ecomstation.com/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If that`s supposed to be a sales pitch, I got bored after 1 minute 30 seconds... and when he started stumbling about with the "gadgets"  (who needs them?) as he said he has them turned off,  because if he wants to see the time, he looks in the bottom right corner ...... Nuff sed  Huh
StickyMick
Grafter

They've lost direction with Windoze, IMHO.
They need to get it off the hard drive. Put the core O/S on a NVRAM board, very similar to the ROM chip that was built into the Amiga, all that goes on the hard drive then are the supporting files and plugins. Otherwise they'll just keep pushing the system requirements up and up.
It'll give us much faster boot times, and if they give the board it's own 1Gig of RAM it shouldn't rely so much on the swap file.
samuria
Grafter

The success of windows has always been that every time it comes out it needs better hardware bigger drives more memory etc. This is because manufacturers love it as it produces more hardware sales.
O/S2 was a much better system but never broke down so no one made any money out of it 
VileReynard
Hero

I could run Windows 3.1 on a PC that had less memory and a slower processor than many (all?) routers in use today.  Grin

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
O/S2 was a much better system but never broke down so no one made any money out of it 

If no one made money out of OS/2 it's because the development costs outstripped revenues.
Even at it's peak, the OS/2 desktop client:
lacked application support compared to Widows
lacked hardware support compared to Windows
lacked OEM support compared to Windows
All of which were factors in IBM's decision to cease development.
VileReynard
Hero

I wonder what Windows 1.0 was like.  Smiley

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I think I might still have a copy somewhere on a couple of old 51/4" diskettes.
At that time I was a fairly sophisticated User of DOS - I recall trying Windows 1.0, chuckling a bit - then went back to DOS Tongue
IIRC  The Amstrad 1512 disk machine was delivered with the Windows and it's quaint GEM interface?  The Amstrad introduced a lot of new Users to computing because of it's low (?) cost, these users did not want to 'get into' DOS in the same way as us Geeks and so the Windows story started on its long journey into history.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ive got Win 3.11 n 8 - 3 1/2 floppes  also  a DOS 3.3 user guide
VileReynard
Hero

Screenshots of Windows for historians:-
http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2001/10/a251001windowshistory_screenshots.html

samuria
Grafter

I disagree about OS/2 most of its problem were that IBM Split from MS and MS kept adding code so things wouldnt run on OS/2. It was very advanced for tis time I remember it could see a big drive even when the bios couldnt, you could set the background of folders and lots of other things that didnt come in until win98.
Commercially there was a lot of support and when I worked at barclays Bank all desktops were running on it until 2000.
What is interesting is that while I was in Abbey bank last week there cash machine crashed and rebooted and yes its still running OS/2. As I have said Desqview was far superior to windows and you could load 6 programs in it while windows was still loading.
From the start windows has only grown due to the problems as companies make a lot of money out of it going wrong and needing more hardware every time a version is updated.
Windows used to be given away with everything and people even wrote software to remove it as if it was a virus 
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

If anyone is interested I'm in the final stages of installing Windows 7 Beta 1 (which I understand should be available to the general public this evening) on a work machine. Imediately it is obvious that it will be very familiar to anyone used to Vista, but much faster- complete installation took twenty minutes from putting in the disc to loggin on on a mid-spec business laptop.
So far installation has been extemely similar to Vista/2008 range products, more to come as we peak inside...