cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Vodafone "Sure Signal"

Jenkers

New Vodafone "Sure Signal"

Hi Everyone,
This is pretty much addressed to anyone on these forums who has recently bought the Vodafone Sure Signal. In brief, I had to purchase one of these little miracle workers, as I have just moved house, and found to my dismay that the mobile phone signal was so poor I was unable to use it at all. The idea of this box of tricks is to boost a 3G signal around the household, however, for some reason, the Sure Signal will not configure itself to the router supplied by Plusnet (white Speedtouch) but will with a spare Netgear DG834GT I have. I wonder if any of you have come across a similar issue? If so, I would be glad to hear any pieces of wisdom.
Thanks in advance,
Jenkers.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Vodafone "Sure Signal"

Moved to this forum as it looks to be the correct place given that this unit connects using the router ethernet post
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Which Speedtouch router is it - many of them are white - if new I assume it is a Thomson 585
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Just had a bit of a google and it appears that the Sure Signal ( used to be called Access Gateway ) makes a VPN connection via your router to the Vodafone servers. There is a problem with the latest TG585v7 router f/w and VPN, see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82852.0.html. Try downgrading the firmware on the TG585 to Version 7 as detailed in ths libray article http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There's one of these beauties behind my desk at work. No problems with it but it is plugged into a 2Wire 1800HG and not a 585v7. I'd be interested to know whether or not the PPTP removal from the version 8 Thomson firmware causes issues because if it does the guys on the helpdesk would probably be keen to know.
As far as I know the femtocell boxes use IPSec and not PPTP.
@Jenkers, try downgrading to the version 7 firmware as per the Community Library article I wrote and let me know how you get on...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

godsell4
Rising Star

FYI. Will be getting one of these connected when I return from a business trip in two weeks time, it will be connected to a DG834Gv2.
I am on BBYW1 so should this work or is the Ellanoya throttling the IPSec data too much on that account type?
How much data does it send/receive on days when there are no calls?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed