cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Site on my home webserver

seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: New Site on my home webserver

Thanks for that. I have now fixed all of those. My spelling always was really bad. Despite Frontpage being absolute rubbish compared with Dreamweaver, I do remember it having a spell checker when I used to use it years ago. I will try to get into the habbit of pasting paragraphs into Word to check spelling before saving pages.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Just for a bit of fun; this is Wikipedia's definition.
You can see now, that what caught my eye was that there was something missing.
Noun
Singular
wether
  Plural
wethers

wether (plural wethers)
A castrated buck goat.
A castrated ram.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Am making some progress. I have little time on my hands.
There is now some content in http://www.seanbranagh.ie/computing
I have also completed the contact page http://www.seanbranagh.ie/contact
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

lookin good!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks. I was expecting more complaints about my poor spelling. LoL.
seanbranagh
Grafter

OK. Not got the site finished yet but I did get time to draw a picture of my network that will be going into the "Networking" page at
http://www.seanbranagh.ie/computing.
My house is of course "Location A" on this picture.
artificer
Grafter

it's looking better all the time.  your poor spelling is not a problem as your 'friends' will surely proofread and offer corrections you can then make.
more important is the attractiveness of layout and that all links work in as many browsers as possible.
you're doing a good job.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks. All my links are always meticulously tested prior to uploading. I am now pasting each paragraph from Dreamweaver into word to check spelling.
As for browser compatibality, when I am working on a page I continously have it open on another screen in both IE and Netscape to check. Netscatpe covers most of the other main ones like firefox and mozilla. The only browser I have ever come accross that does things really strangely is Opera. If I stick to IE and Netscape I will be happy that I have covered the vast majority of web users.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Just got a bit more work done on the site. The "Networking" page is now complete at
http://www.seanbranagh.ie/computing
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I noticed the "What not to do..." with the UPS. I take it you never overcome the issues you had with it then?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

No. Not yet. Forgot that I had posted a thread about that. As I included in the bottom section of the page, the transformer in the UPS went up in smoke after testing with two batteries for a short time. I have replaced it with an unmodifed version as I am able to get these locally for a good price. The backup time is not nearly as good as I would like though as described on the site.
I am planning to buy a larger one from eBay sometime with new batteries. As I live in Ireland the postage costs make this more expensive that a new one so I am going to do it next time I am in England for work.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have changed my network again to include homeplug 4 port switches for one of my computers that was having wireless problems.
As pictured I was able to move my access point up to fit one of the switches underneath. I used the network cable that was going to the access point to run into the switch and then made another cable to then run from it into the access point. I had to wire the switch directly to the mains as pictured as if it was backed up through the UPS with everything else the signal would not get through to the mains wiring.
I have also included a picture of the other switch on the computer at the other side of the house. This computer was previously connected wirelessly. The connection is now much faster and more reliable and it also gives me extra network ports at that side of the house. I obviously still have the wireless access point for my laptop. I have updated my network diagram. When I get time I will update all of this in the networking section of the site at http://www.seanbranagh.ie/computing
artificer
Grafter

what a neat worker you are.  it's all so beautifully organised.  i'd like to see more of the rack with the packard bell box and maybe a longer shot of the homeplug setup.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks. There is nothing else to see where the Packard Bell machine is. It is just one computer on a computer desk from Argos with the Homeplug going into the mains socket. All of the interesting stuff is on the wall in the other picture or my servers in the attic or my wireless antennas. All of those pictures are in
http://www.seanbranagh.ie/computing
artificer
Grafter

there's something amiss with your link sean.  i can't get in either with opera, nor konqueror.