Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC and Voyager 2091

Richchad
Rising Star

New PC and Voyager 2091

I am waiting for the arrival of a new computer  Grin
also waiting for new BT voyager 2091 from PN, van anyone tell me if when I set up the router to be connect USB on old PC and Ethernet on new PC will I somehow be able to transfer files between computers?
I am thinking of getting a KVM switch to use 1 monitor mouse etc. to make it easier to view both computers.

11 REPLIES 11
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: New PC and Voyager 2091

Taking the modems etc out of the equation, you could simply connect the two machines directly via a crossover cable and transfer files using that method.
Or if you don't mean a one-off transfer from new to old (continuing to use both machines), IIRC the modem will only support a single connection, either USB or Ethernet (not including wireless connections).
Having said that, if both systems have 2+ Ethernet LAN ports, you could connect them both to each other and to the router (allowing for file sharing between those systems and also an Internet connection on both).
Someone will soon correct me if I'm wrong though Wink
Richchad
Rising Star

Thanks for that mike, unfortunately my old PC doesn't have an Ethernet port only USB  Sad
So it doesn't look possible to do it with the router unless I install an Ethernet card in my old PC.
I guess the Ethernet direct connection between computers is a quicker way to transfer file than a crossover cable?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

You never know, someone might come post telling me how wrong I am Tongue  I'm not a user of USB modems so not entirely sure of the connection limitations, but I believe what I said was correct.
I dont understand the second part of your post, "I guess the Ethernet direct connection between computers is a quicker way to transfer file than a crossover cable?" - could you clarify this please?
Richchad
Rising Star

I have probably got it all wrong, but I thought a crossover cable is a null modem link via a serial port and therefore slower than a cable connecting the Ethernet ports  Huh
I have been doing some searching and see that there is a USB link cable but haven't found one that is compatible with Vista (surprise surprise) as one pc is XP and one Vista.
paulby
Grafter

You could add a switch, which will give you more ethernet ports, and put an ethernet card in your old PC.
I have probably got it all wrong, but I thought a crossover cable is a null modem link via a serial port and therefore slower than a cable connecting the Ethernet ports

That's one type of cross over.  You also get straight through and crossover ethernet cables.  Most devices will now detect which type you've plugged in and alter their configuration accordingly (e.g. switches should be connected to a router via a x-over cable but you can use a straight through and it'll auto-sense).  However, if you're connecting two PCs directly together you should use a crossover cable.
See here.
Richchad
Rising Star

Thanks Paulby, I was hoping not to have to fit an Ethernet card but it is looking more and more like I will have to.
I have found this USB2 cable link for Vista and XP, would that not work?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TR847A/ref=ord_cart_shr/203-0870175-8534350?%5Fencoding...
Rikaitch
Grafter

I have to admit, I'd only get an Ethernet 10/100 card, and a 4 port router with ADSL built in. It's not than expensive an option, and you'll get the best of both worlds, what with file sharing etc and internet on both PCs.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: Richchad
I have probably got it all wrong, but I thought a crossover cable is a null modem link via a serial port and therefore slower than a cable connecting the Ethernet ports  Huh

I think you may be thinking of a rollover cable/console cable.
See: this Wikipedia entry.
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: Richchad
I have found this USB2 cable link for Vista and XP, would that not work?

It looks as though it'll do what you want.
However, if you want to continue to use your old PC on the internet, the best bet is to get an ethernet card and either add a switch and use your current one-port router or buy a 4 port ADSL modem/router.
Richchad
Rising Star

Not quite sure which route I will go down but appreciate all your help guys.  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

AFAIK what you are asking to do with the Voyager should work.
Its not like a USB modem. When the USB driver is installed on your old computer it will appear as a network connection. You should be able to access the internet and communicate between the 2 computers without any problem. As other people have said though , the USB will be slower than an ethernet connection, especially if its USB1.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.