cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Monitor Suggestions Please

adagio
Grafter

New Monitor Suggestions Please

I am looking to replace my aging and slowly deteriorating Dell 22 inch Ultrasharp monitor. My main use, other than for reading the erudite posts on this forum, is photo post processing Lightroom and Photoshop. I do not play games and rarely watch movies so response time not critical. Colour performance is, however, with the ability to properly calibrate. I know of nowhere locally that I can view them so before traveling any distance recommendations of those worth looking at and those to avoid would be most welcome. 23 or 24 inch screens. It is not a question of 'price no object' far from it but I will not 'penny pinch'.
24 REPLIES 24
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

Re: New Monitor Suggestions Please

Hi adagio,
I had to buy a new monitor recently. I looked at all of the available ones in PC World. I found one that appealed and I bought it.
It is a Hewlett-Packard (HP) 22 xi IPS Monitor. 54.6cm, 21.5-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor. It comes with software and documentation. Full HD 1920 x 1080; 10,000,000:1 dynamic contrast; VGA, DVI-D and HDMI connectivity. HP Enhance + resolution. Perhaps HP manufacture even lager size screens.
I am sure you would find the software management of the image important. Though I don't use that myself (I have tried it).
I need a good quality viewing environment and I have just installed a Daylight 6500K ; 1600 Lumens, overhead bulb. Lovely!
Smiley
NedLudd
Grafter

How about another Dell, like this one?
I'm running an ageing Dell 2405FPW (24";16:9) and it's just the ticket. If it ever goes south then I'll buy another Dell.
Geoff,
York.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd agree, Dell monitors are rather good.  Aria occasionally have some very decent offers.
For lower cost but decent quality I also generally like Benq.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

@NedLudd,
Thanks for your link. I made a favourite of the website.
Smiley
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Razer
Grafter

If only these companies would make a 32" one, then I could get a new one without the company I buy it from squealing to the BBC about what I've bought.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@ Razer
TV dealers
The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed, meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards you no longer need to send us customer name and address details when you sell or rent out TV equipment. This also means your business no longer has to keep sales records to comply with the law on TV Licensing. If you don’t need these records for anything else you can destroy them from 25 June.

From the TV Licensing website.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A few pennies less (currently) http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Monitors+%26+TVs/23+inch/23%22+Dell+UltraSharp+U2312HM+Widescreen+IPS...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Looking for a new monitor myself and the Dell U2412M seems to fit the bill, part of the blurb includes.........Cheap TN panel monitors are abundant from £100, but the better IPS panel monitors tend to be well over £300. The Dell 2414M sits in the middle.
It worth looking at the reviews on Amazon & other sites before making a decision but I am very tempted to go for this one.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shalom2010
Grafter

I have an Eizo FlexScan SX2462W great for photography - it is wide gamut which you may not want. I paid the full £650 for it, but it's now around £470.
adagio
Grafter

Thanks to you all for taking the trouble to reply and for your suggestions. Another Dell may well be my choice, the one I have has served me well but is now tiring after 8 years or so and of course the technology has moved on substantially.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: 4C
@ Razer
TV dealers
The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed, meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards you no longer need to send us customer name and address details when you sell or rent out TV equipment. This also means your business no longer has to keep sales records to comply with the law on TV Licensing. If you don’t need these records for anything else you can destroy them from 25 June.

From the TV Licensing website.

Fantastic! I'll have to look into that to make sure dealers aren't still complying with a repealed law before I purchase. Cheers for the info.
Pedro
Grafter

Hi
I own one of these iiyama IPS monitors, and I'm extremely happy with it, though I paid a fair bit more than what they are going for these days as I bought it when they 1st came out  Angry
Use it for gaming, photo editing, video screen, you name it. Beats the heck out of my previous lcd screen in terms of sharpness and colour fidelity.
Buy an HDMI lead as well as it comes with DVI and VGA leads only.
Good luck.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I thought the only difference between DVI and HDMI was that HDMI can carry audio as well? Didn't know there were any differences between the video streams.