Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mint User - Help Needed

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: New Mint User - Help Needed

I cant see anything in that system log that indicates its detecting the card.
Is the card a PCMCIA card ( as opposed to Cardbus/ExpressCard! )? , i would guess so as its an old card.
Are the slots on the laptop PCMCIA or are they only Cardbus ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

HMM the card is PCIMA but looking at the log
Sep 25 10:54:54 linux-laptop kernel: [ 16.263023] yenta_cardbus 0000:00:0a.0: CardBus bridge found [1043:1617]

Looks like the laptop is Cardbus. Strange because when Bob sent me the details it said it took PCIMA cards.
From the manual:-
PC Card (PCMCIA) Socket
   The Notebook PC supports PC Cards (or sometimes referred to as PCMCIA cards) to allow expansion
   like PCI cards on desktop computers. This allows you to customize your Notebook PC to meet a wide
   range of application needs. The PCMCIA socket can interface with type I or type II PC cards. PC cards
   are about the size of a few stacked credit cards and have a 68-pin connector at one end. The PC Card
   standard accommodates a number of function, communication, and data storage expansion options. PC
   cards come in memory/flash cards, fax/modems, networking adapters, SCSI adapters, MPEG I/II de-
   coder cards, Smart Cards, and even wireless modem or LAN cards. The Notebook PC supports PCMCIA
   2.1, and 32bit CardBus standards.
   The three different PC Card standards actually have different thicknesses. Type I cards are 3.3mm,
   Type II cards are 5mm, and Type III cards are 10.5mm thick. Type I and Type II cards can be used in a
   single socket and Type III cards take up two sockets. Type III cards are only supported on Notebook
   PC’s with two PC card sockets.

Silly Q Bob, you do have it in the right way up? Leds up.
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies.
@steve74 - I have tried adding the details for my wireless network (SSID, security settings and password - I left everything else as default) but still nothing. When you say "it detected the network", what actually should happen?
@biker - no the LEDs don't light up at all and yes my wireless is broadcasting it's SSID. Yes the card is the right way up  Wink
So is the conclusion that my laptop has CardBus slots and not PCMCIA (despite what it says in the manual)? As a matter of interest, does CardBus have a different connector to PCMCIA? I ask because when I push the card in to the laptop, it just doesn't feel like it's seating properly.
Bob
bobboulby
Grafter

biker, I've just noticed that the card says on it "2.4GHz Wireless Cardbus Adapter".
Edit - just done some Googling on this and from what I can tell, PCMCIA and CardBus are interchangable ?Huh
Bob
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well if the power led isn't lighting then the card isn't seating properly. I just pushed it home on my Acer 250 and it was recognised immediately. You could try having a look in the slot to see if something is blocking it. It should go in so that only the plastic shield is left out. (maybe a few extra mm before it but mostly home)
When it detects the network, it adds it to the list of available networks, and when you click on it it asks for the password. (Unless you have it stored)
Could you post a pic of the adapter in place.
bobboulby
Grafter

I've just tried the card in an XP laptop. It went in as far as it does in the Mint laptop and XP detected that there was new hardware. No LEDs came on in the XP laptop though. I don't have administrator privileges so I can't install it.
I can post a picture but I'm fairly sure it's going in as far as it should.
Bob
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well if the XP laptop seen it, then yes it is working, looks like you may have a faulty laptop connector there. The led won't come on in the xp lt until the driver is loaded (the Mint would autoload it)
bobboulby
Grafter

Hello again
I just thought I'd close this off as I've now got wireless working. Following MisterW's suggestion in post #5 I bought a tp-link tl-wn321G, plugged it in and it worked  Smiley
Thanks everyone for your help - I think I'll have a look at Ubuntu now !
Bob
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Glad too hear you got it working,hope you enjoy your time with ubuntu,its all a bit daunting at first,but when you start to understand how it all works its really fairly easy. Cheesy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Not applicable

Glad you're sorted Bob - it's a wonderful moment when the little thingy circles and you are online.
Let us know what your opinions of Ubuntu are please.
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks Steve and Poppy. I'll post some thoughts on Ubuntu in Steve's thread once I've had a play.
Bob
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

For what it's worth....
I couldn't actually be bothered to read all entries in this thread but I'd like just ot say:
Mint is based on Ubuntu, anything that works properly with Ubuntu should work just fine with Mint.
I prefer the look and feel of Mint to Ubuntu, even thouth I am far from being a Windows fan Mint is generally easier for Windows users to pick up, I find the 'start menu' particularly slick in mint.
The main advantage of mint is the inclusion (on the right version - avoid the 'universal' if possible) of propriatory drivers and codecs, more things should work on first install.
Whether you use Mint or 'plain' Ubuntu it is clear to see that for most general users (net, word processing etc.) you can work pretty well as good as any commercial offering without the expense of OS + Software, for most people this really is significant.
The range of software available for free is incredible, some is better than others (please bear in mind that free software is often still in development) but for most common requirements there is a good choice and all without financial cost or licensing restrictions.
I personally love Mint, I installed it on an Acer One netbook and the speed improvement compared with Windows XP was noticable.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobboulby
Grafter

Ok, I've had a look at Ubuntu ... and have now re-installed Mint. I could live with either interface but the key difference for me was that when I installed Ubuntu, it took me two hours of Internet search and installing bits and pieces before I could play a DVD. So my feeling is that Mint will be the lower hassle option until I've got a bit more time to have a proper play.
Bob