cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MSN is very imposing. How can I change it

juliasdream
Grafter

New MSN is very imposing. How can I change it

I don't know how my Windows Live messenger updated itself but it did so without giving me a choice.
I find it very imposing taking up half of my screen instear of the little box I could keep to one side.
There doesn't appear ro be any way to customize it.
I tried deleting it and installing an earlier version but that suddenly disappeared one day and back came the new one again
Has anyone any ideas on how to get msn back to the way I want it and NOT the way Microsof wands it to dominate my screen?
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Denzil
Grafter

Re: New MSN is very imposing. How can I change it

I don't use messenger so can't comment on whether it can be customised. It probably updated itself because you have windows updates set to "Install updates automatically". I like to set mine to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". You could try reinstalling the old version again and then not let it install the new one.
matt_2k34
Grafter

it is indeed, "Windows live essentials 2011" is provided by Windows Update.
you can uninstall this the same way as uninstalling an update, then do a check, then HIDE the update (and it wont show up to download it)
i am currently still using the "old" one, which still allows 1-way webcams. (I dont want to video call)
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Matt_2k34
i am currently still using the "old" one, which still allows 1-way webcams. (I dont want to video call)

I want that one!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have Win7 and it download essentials 2011 - somwhere, I dont want any of its rubbish, so didnt let it install, where is the rather large download stored so I can rubbish it?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Pierre-Pierre try this...http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/77761-programs-features-uninstall-change-program.html?filter
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I havnt installed it, just it says it downloaded 150M of rubbish and it is sitting waiting to install
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just hide the update then I think and Ignore It, Wont get your bandwidth back on the waste though.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That's why I have mine set to ask before downloading  Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah make sure you change your update setting's while your their  to " check for updates but let me choose when to download and Install them for I am the master of my pc not you "
pierre_pierre
Grafter

seems others are moaning
#
How to: Uninstall Windows Live Messenger 2011

OnSoftware - Elena Santos - 9 hours ago
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, scroll down to Windows Live Essentials 2011, right click on it and start the uninstalling wizard. 2. ...

OnSoftware
#
Is Windows Live Essentials 2011 falsely flagged by Windows Update?

The Tech Herald - Steve Ragan - 25 Oct 2010
However, this notice, while listed as Important by Windows Update, isn't security related. It's a 160 MB download of Windows Live Essentials (WLE) 2011. ...
Video: Microsoft Windows Phone 7 how-to - part 1 of 2
YouTube mobileburn
Microsoft's New Windows Live Essentials Update Policy Sparks ...‎ - Softpedia
Microsoft says Windows 8 roughly two years away‎ - CNET
DailyTech - MWD Technology News Blog (blog)
all 2437 news articles »
Telegraph.co.uk
#
Windows Live Essentials 2011 Automatic Upgrades for Windows 7 and ...

Softpedia - 21 Oct 2010
Almost a month since Windows Live Essentials 2011 hit the Release to Web (RTW) milestone, Microsoft is gearing up to deliver automatic upgrades for all ...
Windows 7, one year later: How's Microsoft doing? And what's next?‎ - ZDNet (blog)
Windows 7 Over 240 Million Licenses Sold in the First Year‎ - Softpedia
Windows 7: 240 Million Sold in First Year‎ - WinInformant.com
Siliconrepublic.com - Windows 7 News
all 428 news articles »
Reuters UK
#
Windows Live Messenger 2011 Extends IM Into Social Networks

Washington Post - 3 days ago
If Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger 2011 (free) is any indication, ... Windows Live Messenger is also part of the free Windows Live Essentials suite. ...
#
Windows Live Essentials 2011

Computeractive - Tim Smith - 11 Oct 2010
The Windows Live Essentials Pack from Microsoft includes many programs for Windows that are all free to use. Photo Gallery is a good photo organiser that ...
Windows Live Essentials 2011: Why It's Worth Exploring‎ - TMCnet
Windows Live Essentials 2011 available for free download‎ - Free PC Guides
Microsoft will close Live Mesh and Windows Live Sync next year ...‎ - Downloadsquad
TechShout! - Lifehacker Australia
all 11 news articles »
TechShout!
#
Lifehacker Faceoff: iLife '11 vs. Live Essentials 2011

Lifehacker - 26 Oct 2010
We compared iLife and Windows Live Essentials head-to-head from a first-time home ... Windows Live Essentials is a separate but connected piece of Windows, ...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Just to clarify, if you already run one of the Windows Live programs on your computer (and by "run" I mean have it installed on your computer, whether you use it or not) then Microsoft Update will try to foist the 2011 version on to you without a 'by your leave'.  To avoid this you need to either hide that particular update or turn off Microsoft Updates and revert to Windows Updates.
If you don't run any Windows Live programs Microsoft will try to tempt you by presenting this as an optional "update" but they won't force it on you.  
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've got at least one component of Windows Live and I've only been offered the 2011 version as "optional"........ Cool
juliasdream
Grafter

Thanks to all who gave advice
I removed everything from windows live
The next problem was where to get an old version to replace it with
In my google search I found many misleading download sites which only tried to get you to download their own rubbish
Heres one I found that looks promising. Not only for msn but for many other programs too
http://www.oldversion.com/
I like their slogan: OldVersion.com BecauseNewerIsNotAlwaysBetter
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: juliasdream
Heres one I found that looks promising. Not only for msn but for many other programs too
http://www.oldversion.com/
I like their slogan: OldVersion.com BecauseNewerIsNotAlwaysBetter

The only problem is it's out of date!  I looked up AVG and they say the current version is 7.5 so their old versions are 7.0.  How long ago was that?