cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MB etc - hard drive/drivers etc

morgan2476
Grafter

New MB etc - hard drive/drivers etc

Regarding a previous post I decided to splash out and buy a new MB CPU and memory.  Should I format the HD and re-install windows or should I try and remove the previous drivers.  I am using win 7.  The previous MB was  a Gigabyte my new one is an Asrock.
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New MB etc - hard drive/drivers etc

Its much much safer to start again from scratch.  You could always partition the hard drive, move your user data to the second partition and re-format the first (Windows) partition.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If was mine, I would do a fresh installation as you get to set everything as YOU want it - and not the generic configuration that the original installation would have had.
However, either way you are going to have issues with Windows validation - as ANY change of motherboard is likely to break the built in license checks for that copy of Windows being genuine.  So be prepared to phone Microsoft's activation call centre http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929#Win7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

best is always a fresh clean install  Wink , and if like me i have 2 HD the second i  use for files i need to save .
sorry purleigh , i disagree every time  i swap a MB i Never have any problems with windows validation . mind you i never bought a pre built PC , i do my own make  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Doesn't depend on how many components you change? I thought is was that changing the MB only, CPU only or the disk only is OK, change more than one and you have to revalidate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
morgan2476
Grafter

My main concern was regarding the effect that the previous drivers would have. The vallidation is a minor problem.  Taking on board the advice from the posts it looks as if I need to do a fresh install.  Thanks to all who viewd and posted.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Jelv over the last 5-10 years i have been building my PC,s and regularly update  all components as well as Operating systems , i started with win 98 lol , think i even still have the disc  Cheesy .
this is why i say validation is no problem for me , but maybe with a bought PC from a show with the OS installed maybe different , but i wouldn't have thought so as long as you have a serial number , even MS have a ISO download for win 7 if your disc is no good  Wink
http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/.
but dunno about any other OS.
i may be wrong but no doubt someone  here will let us know  Smiley
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@jelv nope, I had to get a replacement MB a year ago with the same make/model and win7 still had to be reactivated online.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think the activation checks a number of bits of hardware to uniquely identify your machine and if more than x of those bits change then you need to reactivate.
It probably uses some features of your motherboard, and if the mobo is changed then you're more than likely to have the MAC address changed on your NIC too (what with them all being built onto the boards nowadays).
Thank god for OEM SLIC BIOS installs which avoid most of that hassle (well everything except a motherboard change that is, cos that will also change the BIOS!).
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

forgive me if i am wrong  Cool i own a legitimate win7  64  Disc , so if i decide to replace my MB again, what i am reading is there may be a problem with online  activation ? due to win7 not recognizing my new hardware ?
or if say i buy a complete new pc from PC world without a OS my win7 should activate with no problems providing its not running on 2 systems at the same time  Huh
so far  i never had any problems upgrading any hardware
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: rongtw
forgive me if i am wrong  Cool i own a legitimate win7  64  Disc ,

No you don't.  Cheesy
Windows own it; you just own a licence to borrow their software.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: rongtw
buy a complete new pc from PC world without a OS my win7 should activate with no problems

OEM machines generally don't activate in that way. You don't think the big manufacturers want the hassle of having to activate every machine they produce? Well they don't.
An OEM machine has a specific install disk, and when windows is booted it will check an area in the BIOS (known as the SLIC table) to check what kind of PC it is on. I have a Dell machine at home which came with Windows 7, and that works (and activates) just because it can check during boot it is running on a Dell machine, not a different PC. In fact the key stuck on the label isn't used, instead a generic Dell key is instead. I've got a Dell machine at work too, and the Product ID reported via Computer->Properties is the same.
I guess when upgrading a machine which doesn't have an OEM install, if a lot of hardware changes Microsoft can't tell the difference between someone legitimately upgrading their whole system or 'giving' their disc to a friend. So then you have on beg to their activation line to give you another chance. Good luck with that, I had to use the line once back when XP first came out and they were shit.
I don't know why Microsoft don't provide an option of deactivating a machine before you upgrade it, so you can then use the key again on a machine with a different hardware hash (after upgrade). But then I don't understand why Microsoft want £85 via anytime upgrade to go from Professional to Ultimate when there are hardly any difference in features (Bitlocker and different language options IIRC).
But at least it's not a problem for the OP, so this is not really relevant to their thread Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you buy a computer from PC World either without an operating system or you wipe the hard drive (re format) you shouldn't have any problem
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Yes Jim that's what i thought , I have a win7 disc ,so  i am able to install it on whatever hardware i decide to put in on  Wink