Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MB and ssd

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

New MB and ssd

i have just ordered myself a new motherboard  Wink  DDR3  Gigabyte,  now was just wondering as i now have a SSD i have read somewhere that its not advisable to do a complete format to the SSD
as when i install the MB i will have to reinstall win7 , or do I ? can i just install the new MB and let win7 update the drivers ?
if i just had the the standard HD i would just format and reinstall from new MB but am unsure with the SSD  any idea,s ?Huh
cheers 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: New MB and ssd

Doing a "complete format" or filling it with zeroes gives a hard disk a thorough test before putting any important data on it.
But SSDs have more limited lifespan in terms of the number of write cycles, so you'd just wear it out sooner by giving it a thorough test.
You can change a motherboard and let Windows detect the new hardware perfectly fine - much of the stuff on a motherboard doesn't need a driver or uses a standard driver anyway.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think you'll have to reactivate your copy of Windows.  If it's an OEM copy then it's not supposed to be transferable to a new computer and a new motherboard is a bit borderline.  With Windows XP I have replaced motherboards, had to re-activate by telephone but it's been okay.
Anyway, I would have thought a complete re-install with a Quick Format would be a better option than risking clashing drivers. 
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

cheers for the reply's  Wink  my PC is a self build so i have my own copy of win7 so a full reinstall is no problem i was just a bit worried about formatting the SSD , i have since done some google and found out best is to do a Quick format as ReedRichard says to avoid driver conflicts  Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .