cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Laptop

artmo
Aspiring Champion

New Laptop

I am going to buy a laptop on my visit to the USA shortly.  I've been looking at Gateway machinesand wonder if anyone would comment on this particular one:
http://tinyurl.com/55h6tw
I simply want a laptop to browse the web, email, word processing etc and not interested in playing games etc.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: New Laptop

It's "refurbished" - return to base might be tricky!
Any old laptop will do web browsing etc - I'd suggest you use Open Office to avoid a major expense in
Microsoft's Office package.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, I know it's 'refurbed' and I'm not worried about RTB really.  I was wondering about the spec processor speed and that sort of thing.
I won't have a problem with an Office suite - I know a man Wink
Santiago
Grafter

I looked at that link and now I want to  reach down through the internet pipes and strangle that guy. I think they got him from QVC
If you would like to to buy a new Gateway ML6732 you can get one here walmart
I know you like Comp USA but have a look down this list at Walmart
Happy Shopping
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Santiago.
Yes, I know what you mean about that guy. Smiley  Thanks for the Walmart links.  Well worth considering.  The only reason I like CompUSA is because of their selection but will certainly look at any source.
What processor speeds are reasonable these days?
geewizz
Grafter

I got to 1.21 on that video before I had to switch it off. I don't want to break my monitor.
Did he really say "It pretty much has a power button"? If that was a salesman's pitch in a shop I would turn my back on him and leave.
Denzil
Grafter

For web browsing, word processing etc it really doesn't matter much what the processor speed is. I am typing this on a Dell C400 with a 1.2Gz PIII, and even that is plenty fast enough. A decent amount of memory can make a bigger difference to everyday speed. It depends a bit which OS it will have, though. If it is going to be Vista it would benefit from a bit more speed and memory.
On a laptop things like keyboard feel, battery life, build strength, size and weight etc are just as important as hardware performance.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that Denzil.  The ones I am looking at seem to be 1.5 - 1.9Gz dual processor and 2or 3Gz RAM.  Dell have some good deals on their US site and that would have the added advantage of getting service here if there was a problem.