cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Laptop Advice, Please

Mav
Fixes: 515

New Laptop Advice, Please

Just treated myself to a new toy - Sony Vaio FW56E.
I haven't paid much attention to the use of laptops before mainly as I never thought I'd have need for one - but now I do.
I don't have any form of mobile internet so was wondering what's the cheapest way when out and about of being able to access the internet. It would be occasional and not frequent. I understand you can use so-called hotspots but how?
I may have further questions later - maybe not  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
Santiago
Grafter

Re: New Laptop Advice, Please

This is a recent  thread on wireless dongles which may be helpful
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81801.0.html
Not applicable

That looks one very nice laptop Mav. Bought a Sony myself last month, only this time got a 15.5" for lightness and portability (mine is the VGN-NW20EF/W).
It's very nice indeed but I was a bit dismayed with all the stuff that was on that I really didn't need. Took me a while to uninstall things, although the hard drive is big enough to accommodate it so maybe I shouldn't have bothered.
Hope that you are enjoying the machine.
Mav

Haven't opened the box yet, but specs look good incliding BD ROM and HDMI & 500GB HDD Smiley
Busy setting up my USB TV Tuner at mo but will open 'toy' a liitle later.
Bl**dy PC world tried to sell me all sorts of rubbish including Norton. Told him I use AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D plus other stuff but he insisted that would not keep me safe on-line. Told him he had no idea. He then wanted to sell me a £40 HDMI cable  Huh
Anyway was expecting all this so just told him I know what I want and leave me to it. Hate PCWorld but their price was the best I could find.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Not applicable

Bl**dy PC world tried to sell me all sorts of rubbish including Norton.

Don't I know it! Went into ours on Boxing Day morning to get a laptop for a friend.
I think the assistant (a pleasant young man) must have thought that because I was a lady 'of certain years' that I would know nothing about setting it up so I got the spiel about how they had someone who would come out and set it all up. Told him that I was well up to doing it myself.
Then came the Norton bit which, by coincidence, I had very recently removed from a friend's computer because it was so dire. This had been no easy matter because the GoBack bit took an age to uninstall (in hindsight I should have used the removal tool). Told him I used Kaspersky so off he went and fetched the lappy.
Came back with a a Kaspersky 3-licence box which was on offer at £23.99. Actually, I would have had this because it is a good offer and I do like Kaspersky. Mine ends in February and I get it a bit cheaper through my bank. This one was a disc so worth the extra bit I suppose. Anyway, have passed the info on to someone else who is looking to renew his license early next year and also needs a copy for his daughter's new lappy. Poor lad - he tried very hard but I couldn't help his bonus on this occasion (if they get one).
Mav

PCWorld: WIll you want to take our Care package?
Me: I don't need insurance.
PCW: It's not insurance. You will be covered for accidental damage.
Me: That's insurance. Already covered on my home contents.
PCW: It's not insurance. You will be covered for any faults.
Me: There's the manufacturer's guarantee plus the SOG act - I'll be fine.
PCW: But it covers you for all faults.
Me: But not software related...
PCW: No.
Me: So no use then, is it. Anyway, already said. Don't want insurance.
PCW: It's not insurance. Can I pass you to my colleague who will take your money.
Cheesy

Bud
Grafter

The new Norton is a far superior product than previous versions, a lot lighter and IMO equally as good as kaspersky.
The new Microsoft Security Essentials is getting very good reviews and a couple of people that I know that have tried it instead of their avg have been impressed with it and from what I have seen is better than AVG.
Mav

Quote from: poppy
That looks one very nice laptop Mav.

Got it out of the box late last night and am very happy with it. Did a lot of research before-hand and I have an affinity with Sony since first using their audio equipment at school.
It seems well built, sylish and, hopefully, will be reliable.
Quote from: poppy
It's very nice indeed but I was a bit dismayed with all the stuff that was on that I really didn't need. Took me a while to uninstall things...

It came with McAfee and so much other stuff I spent a fair bit of time uninstalling. Still more to look at but I am impressed so far. With W7 it easily found my Home Network (my and wife's desktop PCs) and was good to go in very quick time.
Gotta keep a close eye on it as SWMBO has her beady eyes on it  Grin
Oops @Santiago Thanks for the linky. Had a quick look and will browse it later at leisure. Cheers.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Not a big fan of PC world myself. £80 just to copy a hard drives contents? Get knotted!
I noticed them playing games with their so called discounts a while back too. Ex-display laptop being sold with 10% off the rrp... yet the total discounted price was the same as the rrp on the shelf behind it for the very same model! I put that to the staff there and none of them could explain it.
I've also noticed in the last few days that many stores are reducing things by upto £100 on electricals... which have never been £100 more expensive in the first place. Seems that we're all being treated like mugs these days Roll_eyes Even tiger bread in the stores is now being mis-sold - I found many loaves on sale today which were normal white bread without the tiger bread smell all labeled up as tiger bread.
They've got wise and realised that if they use the words sale and show big discounts on goods people will just buy them because they think its all a bargain. Therefore instead of the stores selling off excess stock to get shot of it, a lot of places are now using the january sales as an excuse to rip us off. Admittedly though they're not all at it but I remember woolworths selling medion laptops for well over a year at £350 reduced from £800.
I also saw a 37" tv for sale today reduced to £499.99 from £749. Strange thing being that the store I saw it in has NEVER sold TVs over the £600 mark.
Theres an outlet centre nearby too where they sell off stock at reduced rates. XMas day has gone so they've now started the sales ... reduced from the RRP prices  Roll_eyes Of course people are still blocking up the roads to get there  Cheesy
They really do think we're all mugs. As the old saying goes: Buyer beware!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!