cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Internet Explorer 7 build is WGA-Free

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

New Internet Explorer 7 build is WGA-Free

"Almost a year ago, we released Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP. Since then, IE7 is well on its way to becoming the most used browser in the world, and we’ve seen lots of evidence that IE7 makes it safer and easier to accomplish everyday tasks online. For example, the built-in Phishing Filter has protected consumers from known phishing web sites an average of 900,000 times per week.  IE7 is the first – and still the only – browser with native support for Extended Validation SSL Certificates that help prevent online fraud. (Of course, tabbed browsing, QuickTabs, shrink-to-fit printing, an easily customizable search box, CSS improvements, and some add-ons are all good things too.)"
Link to the article here.
A welcome moved for web developers is how I see it - hopefully it will only be another 2-4 years until IE6 is no longer very present in terms of browser usage.
5 REPLIES 5
alkatraz
Dabbler

Re: New Internet Explorer 7 build is WGA-Free

<sarcasm>
Ooo yay(!) it's now quicker and easier to plunge a blade through your ribcage.
</sarcasm>
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: alkatraz
<sarcasm>
Ooo yay(!) it's now quicker and easier to plunge a blade through your ribcage.
</sarcasm>

Haha, ouch Wink  I'm looking specifically from a web dev front. Just now there's the main users of Opera, Firefox, IE6, IE7. Because IE6 Sucks when it comes to CSS compliance/PNG transparancy, web devs need to make hacks to their CSS code in order for it to work properly with all browsers. The majority of people who haven't upgraded to IE7 did not (probably) because of using an illegal copy of XP, or because it's simply an old and not very used box. For those who are in the illegal camp, maybe they'll just come out of the woodwork to install it Wink
alkatraz
Dabbler

We mandate IE6 rather than IE7 and request people use FF.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: alkatraz
We mandate IE6 rather than IE7 and request people use FF.

Why is that (IE6 over IE7) exactly? Just curious, as I didn't think that even this long down the line that IE7 still wouldn't be adopted.
alkatraz
Dabbler

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
Why is that (IE6 over IE7) exactly? Just curious, as I didn't think that even this long down the line that IE7 still wouldn't be adopted.

If you pretend for a moment that IE6 isn't integrated into Windows, and by provide we mean, don't remove all the shortcuts to and attempt to block it from running...
We primarily provide IE6 as a backup to Firefox. There are a number of sites out there written by idiots and so just don't display right in Firefox, in that case, the user can use the IEView extension and open it in IE6 to view it how it was meant to be seen. If you install IE7, you can no longer use IE6 and so sites that aren't ready for Firefox often aren't ready for IE7 and you don't get the site as it was meant to be at all.
We don't force people not to install IE7, but we don't provide it, we prevent its auto-installation and wherever possible request that it's not installed.
I suppose, thinking about it, it's more about giving people access to IE6 than it is preventing them from using IE7.
However, if people want to use Opera or Seamonkey or anything else that takes their fancy, that's fine with me.