Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation 9.10 or 10.04?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

New Installation 9.10 or 10.04?

Couple of things regarding a fresh install, I have been running 9.10 Karmic on a pretty low end system being 512MiB Ram and the CPU shows up as being unknown although that is not a problem it still works. No chance of upgrading.
Firstly would anyone recommend 10.04 on something this low or should I just put 9.10 back on? Secondly this is a work PC but the person who used it is no longer here so it will be just used as a spare in the estimating department. I need to get all the work off there the easiest option being just take the home folder and back it up to DVD but when I re-install the name of the computer will change from **blokes name** to estimating.
Can I change the name of the home folder or would it be best to back up all files individually then start with a fresh you reckon?
42 REPLIES 42
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: New Installation 9.10 or 10.04?

I would try with a live cd/usb and make sure everything works on 10.04.
WRT the home folder, you could just copy it over and do a "chown -R estimating:estimating *" to replace the permissions.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Create a new user called estimating first.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I assumed that he would do that when he installed.  Lips_are_sealed
eneville

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Can I change the name of the home folder or would it be best to back up all files individually then start with a fresh you reckon?

Yeah I'd do that, just change the home folder, probably rsync all of what's under /home to another box, or even tar -cvpf - /home | gzip | ssh <other box> "cat > backup.tar.gz"
Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Couple of things regarding a fresh install, I have been running 9.10 Karmic on a pretty low end system being 512MiB Ram and the CPU shows up as being unknown although that is not a problem it still works. No chance of upgrading.
Firstly would anyone recommend 10.04 on something this low or should I just put 9.10 back on? Secondly this is a work PC but the person who used it is no longer here so it will be just used as a spare in the estimating department. I need to get all the work off there the easiest option being just take the home folder and back it up to DVD but when I re-install the name of the computer will change from **blokes name** to estimating.

Wouldn't recommend it for 10.04 but sounds ideal for Lubuntu, I am using Lubuntu on an old Pentium 4 machine with 512mb of RAM and it works great. Lubuntu is Ubuntu but designed to run on old and low power computers. Get it from the same place as Ubuntu, check it out I think it's just what you are looking for.
VileReynard
Hero

I've got a 384MByte running 8.04 - I'm going to upgrade it to 10.04.  Grin
I'll let you know the outcome.

VileReynard
Hero

Upgrade seems to be working well - after initial hurdles.
First, I had to apply about 6 months of updates to 8.10 - including two kernel upgrades.
I then found out that you need at least 32MB free space in the partition containing /boot
(Unfortunately, I created myself a separate 100MB partion, years ago).
So I removed an old kernel, rebooted and started again.
A download of about 2GBytes was required - took about an hour.
It is currently about a 1/3rd of the way through the update, so it's looking good.
Note that the system is about 8-9 years old (384MB, 600MHz) - single processor  Grin Grin
However, it is connected to a 10,000 rpm SCSI disk - which must help a little. Cheesy

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I haven't tried yet I need to download a newer version, My 10.04 was quite an early copy. While I have your attention though is there a simpler way of installing java in the firefox browser?
I know I have been down this road before but Linux really breaks my heart with things like this  Grin Simple task made extremely difficult because of Linux methods. Although I have started to learn something about searching for answers regarding Linux problems, don't do it unless you search for your distro in particular.
That's a bad thing though.
Waldo
Grafter

While I have your attention though is there a simpler way of installing java in the firefox browser?

Simpler than what?

# apt-cache search sun-java
sun-java6-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture dependent files)
sun-java6-demo - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6 demos and examples
sun-java6-fonts - Lucida TrueType fonts (from the Sun JRE)
sun-java6-javadb - Java(TM) DB, Sun Microsystems' distribution of Apache Derby
sun-java6-jdk - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
sun-java6-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent files)
sun-java6-plugin - The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
sun-java6-source - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6 source files
# apt-get -u install sun-java6-plugin
[...]
sun-java6-plugin is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

That's simple enough for me. I dare say synaptic / adept users will tell you it's even easier from within a GUI. YMMV.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I will try that tonight when I get home tonight.
Simpler than what?

I was using the method from Suns website which would not work using a bin file, I followed it letter for letter making the bin file into an executable but it wouldn't install in the usr folder so had to do it from the home folder. This still didn't integrate with firefox though and I didn't understand the next part.
I also tried it from the software centre but the sun test said it was version 18 the newest being v21, this did work though! I often use ping test from broadband speed test .com for some reason it won't work with older versions of java.
Where is the best place to store software I'm assuming the home folder is the linux equivalent of the C drive so would be best there, is it also ok to delete the files once installed?
VileReynard
Hero

I load the icedtea package - which pulls in a load of other Java packages.
I suspect it's not completely up to date with absolutely latest Java versions though.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

A test showed the iced tea was the version being used but the site didn't recognise it so it wouldn't let me do ping tests.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Java can be a real PITA! I remember having to remove and install a PARTICULAR version so some accounting s/w would work Crazy
As has been said on a different thread the google then install is not the best for Linux. A search using synaptic or other package manager like yum, then only if not found visit google. Often the instructions on the web site will be wrong or aimed at a different release, using apt makes sure that what you are installing is going in the right place.
VileReynard
Hero

And it also means that you can safely uninstall something if it turns out to be a waste of time.