Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New IP address

pleasenlighten
Grafter

New IP address

Hi,
is it possible to change my Internet  address, whilst staying with Plusnet?
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: New IP address

if you're on dynamic ip you should be able to disconnect and reconnect to get a new IP address or are you on static?
why do you wish to change?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pleasenlighten
Grafter

Hi Dvorak,
I would like to disguise my locale as I think this helps with anonymity and therefore security. I have considered  a VPN service but having read from  Purevpn.com  ,the possible problems with router,,firewall and registry,I don`t feel confident with configuring these.
Don`t know anything about the dynamics you mention... sounds interesting.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

changing your ip address with PN won't hide your location or make you any more anonymous.
for a simple VPN look at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ they have windows / mac / android clients that do things simply for you without the need to worry about technical issues.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your account is currently on a static IP, meaning you'll be given the same IP address each time you connect to the Internet. If you want to switch to a dynamic IP, just let me know and I'll sort that out for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pleasenlighten
Grafter

Thanks for that,Dvorak, I will have a look at it.
Hi Chris, Are there any issues with the `dynamic` format...ie  slower service ,cost  etc? Don`t understand why there is a choice?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you ever need to connect to your router or anything on your network from elsewhere? Do you use anything like the thinkbroadband quality meter?
The former is easier with a static IP the latter is impossible without a static IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pleasenlighten
Grafter

Hi jelve,
i don`t use networking just a couple of laptops independently from home and ocationally wifi hotspots
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You just need to confirm that you want your static IP removed then - you'll get a different IP each time you connect.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pleasenlighten
Grafter

Hi dvorak,
You say
changing your ip address with PN won't hide your location or make you any more anonymous.
for a simple VPN look at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ they have windows / mac / android clients that do things simply for you without the need to worry about technical issues.

I have signed up to PIA above and after some problems connecting I managed to change my IP address a few times on both my laptops yesterday ......and now today ,I cannot get a connection.
I`m wondering whether I might go the Dynamic  IP but you say it doesn`t hide my location or make me anonymous. Surely this is very similar to a VPN service without the control?