Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New HDDs

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New HDDs

Hey guys,
I've just got 3x Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives (don't need any flame wars about different HDD manufacturers).
Two of the three drives have been picked up fine by debian and have been formatted and mounted without any problems, but one of the drives doesn't seem to get picked up in Debian - It did originally have a lose SATA cable, I figured that drives were hot swappable, so once it was plugged in, it should have been recognised and show up in /dev/ - Does the box need rebooting for it to pick it up?
The drive gets picked up fine when plugged into my USB caddy on the windows PC, so I know the drive is functional,
Ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: New HDDs

Have you got AHCI mode selected for the SATA ports in the bios ? I don't think it will detect hot plugging without

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New HDDs

Ahhh, probably not. I'll just reboot the server Tongue
EDIT:
/dev/sda1                                               917G  200M  871G   1% /mnt/drive1
/dev/sdb1                                              917G  200M  871G  1% /mnt/drive2
/dev/sdd1                                              917G  200M  871G  1% /mnt/drive3

Sorted Smiley