cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New HDD beeping

Mav
Fixes: 515

New HDD beeping

Connected one of my new (internal) drives (2TB) to the PC using one of these and set about copying files from the failing 1.5TB drive.
The old drive disappeared from My Computer and re-appeared saveral times before I could start any file transfers which has been happening more frequently of late). The transfer was quite slow (around 900KBps) which I put down to the old drive. tested this out by copying some files from another drive to the new one getting over 20MBps reported.
After a while the transfer seemed to halt but no errors reported and the status widow still showing. Eventually I had to reboot the PC as explorer was playing up. The old drive was very hot so I turned it off till it cooled and started again. This time the transfers were between 20 and 25MBps. After a few minutes both drives disappeared from Explorer which I assumed to be the old drive causing further problems. But I couldn't get the new one to show again.
I pulled both the power and data cables to the new drive several times then suddenly it starting beeping continuously. Fearing the worse I unplugged the power and Googled the problem. It seems the drive will beep (11 times apparently - but I never counted them) if there's a problem with the power source. I found a different molex to SATA adapter, connected that in and all seems OK.
To be on the safe side I am running a Long Generic SeaTools test to see if any errors are reported. So far, about a 5th of the way, all seems OK.
Anyone else experience drives beeping under these conditions? Could it be a sign of something more serious even in a new drive?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
warbleeder
Grafter

Re: New HDD beeping

did you try using a laptop hard drive or CD drive? could be faulty power adepter
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have never experienced a beeping drive but I have encountered drive issues when I connect multiple drives to a computer and the PSU is not powerful enough.  These issue can be age-related so a configuration that used to work stops working but can be cured by using a more powerful PSU. 
Mav

Woke up to find it had passed the Long Generic test  Smiley
Perhaps the power connected wasn't seated properly causing the problem or an issue with that specific molex adapter that only manifested itself with that particular drive.
All my external hard drives have their own individual power supplies so that shouldn't have been the issue.
Anyway, all seems ok and I'm now transferring the files from the failing drive.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Mav
Anyway, all seems ok and I'm now transferring the files from the failing drive.

My point was that, under certain circumstances, lack of power can mimic the symptoms of a failing drive.
Mav

Sorry RR, perhaps I misled you in my OP when I talked about it being an internal drive. I connected it externally so the PC's PSU shouldn't come into the equation particularly as I only had 3 external drives (including the problematic one) connected at the time through USB.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mav
Anyone else experience drives beeping under these conditions? Could it be a sign of something more serious even in a new drive?

Only once. Bought a new Toshiba netbook years ago and it did similar. It would make a very quiet beep / chirp every 20 or so seconds. After 3 days I couldn' tolerate it anymore and took it back. To my surprise Tosh replaced it on the spot with no quibble at all acknowledging "sometimes a bad drive slips through". They replaced it with a totally new netbook (although it did leave me with the problem of reinstalling everything).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!