Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EU Directive starts today

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

New EU Directive starts today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30643357
New modems have to power down when not in use!
How will this affect our 21CN networks as these have to be on 24x7 ?
Let's be careful out there !
22 REPLIES 22
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: New EU Directive starts today

Haha well first I expect many vendors are unaware of this as I dont know of any new models that turn off auto when idle.
Second everyone who is tech savvy will avoid these new devices.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

How is not in use defined? Sounds stupid for modems / routers
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

How about: no sync for modems and no PPP.. session or no data traffic for routers for a minimum time period (both for modem/routers) Crazy
The latest Humax Freesat receivers seem to power down after about 2 hours if there is no "user input" - ****** annoying when watching a 3 hour film Shocked Roll_eyes  Could just be another "bug" though Sad
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think the BBC article should have suggested that modems are going to be required to switch off.
The actual regulations: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:02008R1275-20130912
(I think that's the right document since many parts of it apply from 1 January 2015 and it's got bits about coffee makers)
Those regulations have a separate section "Power management for networked equipment", which defines a networked standby mode. There's a power limit of 12W for a router type device in a "condition providing networked standby".
Most broadband equipment is designed to use less than 12W when it's on and in use anyway. There are all sorts of different limits defined depending on exactly what ADSL / VDSL2 / type of wireless etc. it has.
http://iet.jrc.ec.europa.eu/energyefficiency/ict-codes-conduct/energy-consumption-broadband-communic...
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very sloppy journalism, but let's not stop sensationalist reporting getting in the way of a good story.
From the page linked to by ejs, there's the most recent Code of Conduct
http://iet.jrc.ec.europa.eu/energyefficiency/sites/energyefficiency/files/files/documents/ICT_CoC/co...
Nowhere does it mandate turning things off to the detriment of the consumer.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Our Sky box has gone into standby for a few years now after about 4 years. A new Epson printer I bought, for wireless and the ability to email documents to it also switches off after 4 hours. Not a lot of good if I am our for a 14 hour day and want something printed for my Wife at home!! There is however an override you can programme to prevent it happening. I would assume most devices will have that ability.
I also seem to remember when I first had ADSL, the modem supplied by F9 at the time (Binatone I think?) also used to go into a hibernate mode unless a box was ticked somewhere in the settings.
Mark
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This gives a more concise understanding http://ec.europa.eu/energy/efficiency/products2015_en.htm and it's a requirement to offer an "option" to go into standby mode the way I read it, ie. you don't have to set it in that mode if not wanted!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I disagree...
…Networked devices. Producers and retailers will only be able to sell networked devices (e.g. modems, receivers/decoders, connected televisions, printers) which automatically switch
into standby/off-mode if not performing a main task.
Such products used to be in active or idle mode 24/7 consuming around 25-100 Watts. In total, the energy consumption of networked equipment in standby operating modes was around 90 TWh per year,
corresponding to the electricity consumption of 24 million European households.
These levels are now reduced to 12/6 Watts (as from 2015) and 8/3 Watts (as from 2017), which is expected to save another 36 TWh by 2020 (equal to the energy consumption of 10 million households).
The requirements for networked standby does not affect at all the functionality, e.g. when downloading files.
As long as the equipment is providing a main function (such as processing data), it will not be required to switch into networked standby.
Moreover, in networked standby mode, networked equipment can remain in a (low power) mode from which it can be reactivated via the network within milliseconds
or a few seconds depending on the type of equipment.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Before I switched to PN I was on a LLU service and I used to turn my router off overnight without consequences.
If BT turn off DLM then I think this standby ruling wouldn't be an issue. It could also be a win situation as I often see reports here where DLM is unnecessarily being a real pain.
Let's be careful out there !
Anotherone
Champion

Jeremy, from a preceding paragraph -
What changes on 1st January 2015
From 1st January 2015 new measures introduced by the European Commission will help consumers save energy while cooking, making coffee and surfing the internet. In addition, energy labels will also allow consumers to check the energy efficiency of products sold online.
1.    Energy labels for online sales:Retailers will be required to show energy labels when selling products online. Up until now, retailers only displayed the energy efficiency class of a product online, such as 'energy class A', but not the other classes on the label (e.g. A+, A++, B or C) making it difficult for consumers to compare products. This will now become clearer.
2.    Energy labels for cooking appliances: New domestic gas ovens and range hoods will have to have an energy efficiency label. Up until now, only electric ovens were sold with an energy efficiency label.
3.    Automatic standby for networked devices: New networked equipment (such as modems, receivers/decoders, connected televisions, printers, etc.) will have to offer a function that switches the equipment into a low power standby mode if no main task is performed.
4.    Automatic standby for coffee machines: New coffee machines will have to offer a function that switches the machine into a low power standby/off-mode after a specified period of time, depending on the type of machine.

In any case, FYI the TG582n is already capable of handling the Low Power Mode L2 (along with a number of other devices no doubt). Some trials were carried out a couple of years ago, there's a report here on TBB and there was at least one thread on this forum.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Marksfish
A new Epson printer I bought, for wireless and the ability to email documents to it also switches off after 4 hours. Not a lot of good if I am our for a 14 hour day and want something printed for my Wife at home!! There is however an override you can programme to prevent it happening. I would assume most devices will have that ability.

Seems the override on the Epson isn't working  Angry Tried printing something last night from my parent's house (as a trial) to be met with a switched off printer when I got home and document still in the queue. What is worse, the printer is refusing to accept the command to disable auto switch off, nor to extend the time until it does so. May be going back I think!!!
Mark
NigelJ

Assuming that ADSL modems must now switch to low power sleep mode when not actively being used, so as to comply with the EU directive, resulting in the line connection being dropped at regular intervals.
It must be possible for the exchange equipment to detect this loss of connection and not make speed adjustment to the line during the period the carrier is lost.
I have just migrated form another ISP to Plusnet. Prior to the move, my modem was set to energy saving mode, dropping the connection when not actively being used. This was never a problem and my line speed was unaffected. It is only since switching to Plusnet that this has become a problem. I can only assume that my former ISP used better line monitoring system on their unbundled local loop than Plusnet/ BT,  as my ADSL2 connections speeds were fully comparable with those I measure now.  if anything my former ISP provided a slightly fast download speed and twice the upload speed on the same copper, so it is clearly possible to allow modems to power save without a loss of performance.
In my case, the reason for setting the modem to power saving mode was not concern about the energy being used, but to maximise the life of the equipment.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

twice the upload speed on the same copper

That doesn't sound right, let me check something.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Nigel,
Ha Chris, has beaten me to a post. Depending on what he finds, but in any event -
Welcome to the Forum (& Plusnet) and a Happy New Year to you. This shouldn't cause a problem as mentioned by Phil Richardson in the Plusnet thread I linked in my previous post above. However the L2 mode isn't being implemented by BTw at the present AFAIK. There no reason why your download, but especially your Upload speed should not be as good as before. It will probably be best if you start your own thread on the ADSL board and post your DSL stats and speed test results. Drop me a PM when you have and I'll take a look at it and we'll get Plusnet to have a look at any issues. HTH.