cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Computer

valart
Grafter

New Computer

I am thinking of getting a new computer I had my old computer for 7 years and things are a bit slow,I am retired and I use the computer for surfing and downloading  music for my Ipod I am not looking for anything expensive I just wondered if anyone can advise me what company I can buy it from is Dell a good place to shop.
5 REPLIES 5
artificer
Grafter

Re: New Computer

if your needs are simple, and they sound so, why not look on ebay for a cheap laptop?  you'd get windows xp then and not have to put up with the nightmare that vista is reported to be.
as you are retired, you may like to adventure a little and try linux.
as for make of machine, i have several dell laptops and they have proved reliable.  no great shakes as to spec and performance, but adequate.
are you looking for a desktop, or laptop?  desktops on ebay are so cheap and the spec reasonable, that you could buy two.  one for windows, one to learn linux.
have a great retirement.
Njal
Grafter

Have a look at Morgans:
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/
Regards,
Neil
Thomastank
Dabbler

I bought a Dell and to honest I am very pleased with it and would buy another one !!
There are discount codes about on the Internet which will give you 5% or 10% of the price !!
Also if you worked for a company which were part of there employees discount scheme you may get a preferential deal but if not they will always be open to a bit of bartering.
I suggest you sign up for email notifications of there latest deals
You may find this link useful to compare deals
http://www.dmxdimension.com/
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

If you are retired have a go at building your own. Loads of advice on line such as www.buildyourown.org.uk .
Its not difficult - I've built and rebuilt at least a dozen over the past 10 years. It won't save you loads of cash (although you can build a better spec m/c more cheaply) but its lots of fun!! Wink
Not applicable

If you like Dell and can find a Dell reseller you will probably get a good deal. My current one is a Vostro 1700 laptop (Business Edition). I bought it from a computer shop who resell them (they are pre-ordered but haven't been dispatched for some reason so are brand new) and saved well over £100.
Whatever you buy, make sure that you get 2GB RAM - Vista needs it and it is much better than the 1GB that you get on budget machines.