Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Computer Internet Problem

Chardster
Hooked

New Computer Internet Problem

Hello

I have factory reset my computer and reinstalled Windows XP (I know!) My wireless connection says I’m connected to Plusnet and I can download XP updates. However, when I click on internet explorer and try to browse the internet I get error messages saying there are connection issues. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: New Computer Internet Problem

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Chardster 

Has Internet Exploder updated itself to the latest version?

Even though the latest version is now unsupported, ISTR that older versions will be prevented from connecting because of security vulnerabilities.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You don't have any anti-virus sofware blocking outgoing traffic?

Can you press, Ctrl-A, and type 'cmd'.

Then type 'ipconfig /all' on the DOS prompt and post the results, remove any personal details. There shouldn't be any other than your network name.

Chardster
Hooked

Thanks for your help folks. I’ve updated to the latest version of IE but still no luck.

When I try to access any website it says “there is a problem with this website’s security certificate”. I don’t have any anti virus installed yet as not able to download anything other than windows updates.

Thanks
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Just thoughts? Why did you do a reset in the first place? Were you having problems already?

And XP is getting pretty old. I know we still use W95 (and even OS's that predate that) in the factory but they are machines that never go online. I'd be looking at other ways. Linux, upgrades or even running VM. Currently you have a massive security hole just waiting to be filled with malware.

Edit: And I doubt if you would have the 'latest' version of IE as from the table it doesn't support XP

Windows operating system Latest version of Internet Explorer Release Date
Windows 10* Internet Explorer 11.0 2019-12-10
Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1 Internet Explorer 11.0 2019-12-10
Windows 8, Windows RT Internet Explorer 10.0 - Unsupported 2016-12-13
Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11.0 - Unsupported 2019-12-10
Windows Vista Internet Explorer 9.0 - Unsupported 2011-03-14
Windows XP Internet Explorer 8.0 - Unsupported 2009-03-19
* Windows 10 also supports Microsoft's new browser Edge. We recommend using Edge instead of Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is provided on Windows 10 just for backward compatibility for websites which don't work with Edge or other modern browsers.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Chardster wrote:
When I try to access any website it says “there is a problem with this website’s security certificate”.

If this is the message you are getting @Chardster check your PC is set to the correct date and time. I suspect it's not.

madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

seconded - check the system's time.  This is often the cause of problems since the computer is out of sync with the world and gets its underwear in a twist.  The wrong time is also a symptom of the motherboard battery being on the way out due to the internal time being lost when you remove power.

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

The mother board battery  is normally just a CR2032 which is relatively cheap to buy only a pound or so   Panasonic are a good buy

HD

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Another reason with IE is the old version does not support the current security protocols, which many sites now block browsers trying to use things link SSL 1, 2 or even  3 and TLS 1 or 1.1, most sites seem to now only support TLS 1.2 and 1.3 for secure sites, obviously this will depend on the site you try and visit.

But XP is simply dangerous to use on the Internet nowadays.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@madswitcher wrote:

The wrong time is also a symptom of the motherboard battery being on the way out due to the internal time being lost when you remove power.

Mike

Or it's just because it's new.  When I bought my last computer (Dell from Argos, made in China) the first message to appear on the screen after I'd set it up was, "It's 9.30 a.m. and temperature in Austin Texas is 21 C."  Not something I needed to know but at least it alerted me to the fact that the clock was set to a time zone I wasn't in.  I hadn't tried to do anything on the computer yet so I can't say if it would have caused problems.

Chardster
Hooked

Thanks for everyone’s help but still getting nowhere! XP’s had all its updates and the time and date is correct. Just get security errors when trying to surf the net despite being connected ok. Never had this problem prior to Plusnet for some reason.
madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

Hi again Chardster,

Have you tried another Internet browser to see if that works ok?

Mike

Chardster
Hooked

Hi - I can’t download any other browser because every website I go to it says there is a problem with this websites security certificate. Looks like I’ll just have to buy windows 7. Ah well ...
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I take it you are aware that Windows 7 support finished in Jan 2020. So probably not a good idea trying to buy it to be honest.

Your issues appear to be related to your computer now having out of date security protocol as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

How are you accessing these forums if you have no internet access? If this is another computer you might be able to download the exe file for another browser and then transfer it to your XP Computer.

But to be honest you are better forgetting XP for an internet access as far too high risk. This is by the way nothing whatsoever to do with PlusNet