Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Computer Build with M2 PCIe SSD

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New Computer Build with M2 PCIe SSD

yeah always the way prices fluctuate almost daily on a lot of computer stuff, when I bought the 250gb 850 evo it cost £67, the nvme card at the same size was over £100, and I alreadyt had the drive bay adaptor/.

different time different circumstances I would of grabbed the nvme card without hesitation if the prices had worked out at less than a tenner in the difference, although having said that the last time I did any serious graphics work (video making) was some years ago...

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
tstaddon
Rising Star

Re: New Computer Build with M2 PCIe SSD

NVMe is Ludicrous Speed for a system drive; gamers might want to stick some of their STEAM games on it but not all..

Last year I got two 240GB SATA3 SSDs from at £59.99 each and stuck them into a hardware RAID0 array; that's not NVMe speed but the computer hits the desktop in 12 seconds from the end of the power-on self tests and that's including the time to input a password. Benches at over 1.1GBits/sec.

Games like Dead Rising 3 definitely perform better off SSD as they are reading vast amounts of data off the disk during gameplay (loading time for DR3 went from 30 secs to 8 secs and level loads went from 20 secs to 5), while games like Civilization 4 and 5 see little observable performance boost because the disk is mainly used for streaming the music and sound effects., or loading small config files.

My work laptop has a 240GB SSD in it, and a 750gb drive. It's over 4 years old and still goes like stink.