cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BitTorrent Protocol

scootie
Grafter

New BitTorrent Protocol

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/new-bittorrent-could-save-isps-billions-1247.html
BitTorrent Inc’s now preparing a version of the software that can, in effect, throttle itself: µTorrent 2.0. It’s based around a new implementation of the BitTorrent protocol – known as uTP – that reigns bandwidth usage in when the network it’s running over becomes overloaded. “uTP measures the time a packet takes to get sent from peer A to peer B, so in theory uTP will detect congestion anywhere on that path,” say Simon Morris, Vice President of Product Management at BitTorrent. It’s thought user download speeds won’t be slowed down in the process – and, due to the more efficient nature of uTP, file-sharing could even be speeded up.

wonder what the performance will be like on PN's traffic mangment with the latency that's added on all ready.
Will this new system belive PN's network is congested and slow the traffic down even more than the expected speeds we get
p.s can we please insure this stays on track, and disscus the tech side please instead of turning it into a p2p legal or not debate
EDIT. just installed the beta and i have yet to find any option to beable to switch the feature off all thoe its still downloading at expected speeds for unlimted and the upload seems to be made better use of on my private torrents
3 REPLIES 3
SparckZero
Grafter

Re: New BitTorrent Protocol

I've just installed the beta too - will run some tests and report back...
EDIT: ASBO, I think the option you are after is in my screenshot below...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Think I'll give this a try too!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

yep that looks like the option, silly me speed read straight through it all looking for uTP.
have you gone for the 2.1 alpha bulid or the 2.0 beta build?
ive gone for the 2.0 after looking at the utorrent forum on bugs