cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AV NOD32?!?

Midville
Grafter

New AV NOD32?!?

My subscription is coming to an end for Norton Internet Security 2007 (bit pricey to renew compared to other products out there) - therefore I am thinking of changing to something else.
Anyone using NOD32 ? Any good ?
Will NOD32 + Windows firewall perform as well as Norton IS?
Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12
paulby
Grafter

Re: New AV NOD32?!?

I switched to NOD32 a couple of years back (from NIS).  I've had absolutely no problems with it and it isn't the huge resource hog that Norton is.  Updates happen frequently - they're small and frequent so you don't really notice them - and there's no need to do the equivalent of a "live update".
Three years subs for £54 is pretty good value - and it gets you all the program updates/upgrades too (unlike Norton where you pay extra to upgrade).
I've had NOD working with both the Windows firewall and Zone Alarm.  If you wan't to monitor outgoing connections with your firewall, then I'd install Zone Alarm but, if not, the Windows firewall will work OK.
For a paid solution I think NOD is one of the best out there.  However, I'm sure someone will be along to point out the free solutions (Avast, AVG, etc.).  I just prefer the "security" (if that's the right word) of a paid for solution ("you get what you pay for" springs to mind!).

edit: added link
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are looking at a paid system with full security then KIS7 is worth considering - runs light and includes all the bells and whistles
paulby
Grafter

Forgot to mention - why don't you try the 30 day free trial of NOD and see how you get on?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if you want full protection with NOD I suggest you look into the extra settings which are advised here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=131758
Midville
Grafter

Thanks for your help and info so far.....  Smiley
Nick_Russell
Grafter

See this thread on thinkbroadband...
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=windows&Number=3122624&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1
Some similar thoughts and suggestions
samuria
Grafter

I use NOD but in recant trials by PCro/Computer shopper it didnt work very well and norton was as bad. I like it as it put scanned by Nod in all your emails
The top was kaspersky which is very clever as it monitors changes to startup/reg/host file as well as av. If you put it on full alert it goes a bit mad and warns you of everything but it is ranked the top.
octafish
Grafter

I've used a number now and was always happy with AVG Pro.  However, I now use Kaspersky AV 7 and it's absolutely brilliant.  very configurable and very low on resource use.
Highly recommended.
Steve
ed
Grafter

I use AVG free  Wink
psk10
Grafter

At Present Eset are running a beta version of Eset Smart Security which is very good give it a try it's free and a full Security package it lets you try it for a month then you need to get the updated version , the good thing about eset nod 32 it does not slow your pc down ,which most of the other programs do.
Midville
Grafter

Downloading NOD32 now, as my Subscription for Norton finishes today. Thanks for all your input - I will let you know what I think soonish.
Midville
Grafter

After installing NOD32 my system seems to load windows quicker - also it seems to conduct a scan quickly. Seems like good news so far!