cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ADSL Connection Slowness

SparckZero
Grafter

New ADSL Connection Slowness

Note to the Moderators: This issue does not relate to someone who is on PlusNet, so I have posted it in the General Chit Chat board. If this is incorrect, please feel free to move the thread Smiley
I'm hoping that I can pick someone's brains about the following: A colleague of mine had his new BT Broadband connection activated today (I did try and tempt him into the warm arms of PlusNet and all it has to offer, but sadly he was not moved! :(), however the connection is behaving a bit strangely. He's only syncing at 128kbps down and 64kbps up - but the Linestats indicate that his line can go much, much faster. A BT Speedtest reveals that his IP Profile is set to 2000kbps.
I've walked him through doing all the testing through the Test Socket, and he's also tried a known to be good router - still no change. BT don't seem to want to know, stating that his speeds are subject to change as he is within the initial 10 day training period. Would the initial 10-day training period affect the speed he can sync at, or just the IP Profile? Can BT limit the Sync Speed itself? Is this sync speed likely to improve over the 10 days, or should he keep badgering BT? I've attached his Linestats and BT Speedtest result to this post.
Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers!
===================================================
ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 00:23:20
Downstream 128 Kbps
Upstream 64 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 31.1 dB / 31.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 38.7 dB / 22.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 12.4 dBm / 1.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 0 / 1
===================================================
Download speedachieved during the test was - 88 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 64 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
3 REPLIES 3
scootie
Grafter

Re: New ADSL Connection Slowness

the noise margin and the upstream power is very worring 
Shocked to right that line should be doing much better, is this the first time the line has had broadband?
sync speed can vary alot in the first 10 days as the dlm learns but such a low sync on both up and down and the noise margin indicate a fault
SparckZero
Grafter

Not too sure if the line has had broadband before - it's a house he's renting that he moved into recently.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This came up a long time ago a so I will be a bit vague on the details.
With a new provide very rarely something can go badly wrong with the setting at the exchange and the user finishes up with ludicrous sync speeds.
The only thing you can do is raise a fault with the ADSL supplier - you might have problems getting anything done within the 10 day training period so will need to be firm