Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never Install Windows 10?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Never Install Windows 10?

If you want a simple way to stop Microsoft installing Windows 10 on your Windows 7 or 8 machine,  try the new free program from GRC (Gibson Research Corporation) called NEVER10
Basically, it runs through the system registry and sets it up so that Microsoft will not attempt to install Windows 10.
If you change your mind and want to let Windows 10 be installed, then simply rerun the program and ask it to undo the settings so that Microsoft can install Windows 10.
More details at  https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

I haven't ran the program, I saw a link on Lifehacker to it, but GRC have been around for a while and I have used their other tools happily in the past. It doesn't do anything you couldn't do yourself, it just makes it easy for anyone to do it regardless of technical ability.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Never Install Windows 10?

Awesome !, well spotted, and thanks for telling us about it !   Cool
Having used the other GRC tools since forever, I would trust this to do what it says.   Smiley

Now if only I had a Windows machine to try it on ...   
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bookmarked - thanks
MatrixRob
Grafter

Been using GRC for years and their utilities are excellent, especially their online security check ShieldsUP! for routers:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
The new extra DigiCert SHA256 certificate is yet another layer to prevent Windows 10 downloading or from appearing over your 7, 8 or 8.1 OS
If I run into upgrade issues this will be my first port of call (none yet fingers crossed)
Thanks for the heads up..
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

WOW !... thanks for that linky..... two clicks and job done.... so quick you would miss it in a demo vid ! ! ...  Cheesy
John_Essex
Grafter

I bit worrying that when I click on the link in the page to never 10 AVG comes straight in and claims it to be virus.  Sad
John_Essex
Grafter

AVG claims it as the following:
Win/Herz

Rank this week:  Nº 315
Websites affected:  68
Users affected:  100,000 - 500,000
Affected Operating Systems:  All Windows OS

Win/Herz Summary 
Win/Herz is a malicious software that once it is executed has the capability of replicating itself and infect other files and programs. These type of malware, called Viruses, can steal hard disk space and memory that slows down or completely halts your PC. It can also corrupt or delete data, erase your hard drive, steal personal information, hijack your screen and spam your contacts to spread itself to other users. Usually, a Virus is received as an attachment on an email or instant message.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Which linky did you click?     

I clicked the first one.... and it showed a window for "download" ..... clicked that... then clicked the exe file in my download box.... window appeared saying this machine was ready for Win10 or something... another click on a box to remove the update stuff, and it showed that Win 10 had been disabled on this machine...
No reports of virus from AVAST...
John_Essex
Grafter

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been using GWX Control Panel from: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: John_Essex
I bit worrying that when I click on the link in the page to never 10 AVG comes straight in and claims it to be virus.  Sad

"Note: This program is signed with a just-minted DigiCert SHA256 certificate. But because
the certificate is new and Microsoft hasn't seen it before, it currently makes Microsoft
nervous.  Consequently, you will be “protected” with a “SmartScreen” warning.  Just
click “More info” and “Run anyway”, since the file is properly signed and safe to run."
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: HPsauce
I've been using GWX Control Pane

So was Steve Gibson and it began to annoy him so he wrote Never10. Just been listening to him talk about it on his podcast
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just scanned the file "never10.exe" using the Linux desktop application 'ClamTk Virus Scanner' and that returned "Nothing detected".
On my network the file would have also got scanned twice as it downloaded, BEFORE it reached my PC for the above virus scan.
My router does an anti-virus scan in realtime using 'ClamAV', and also checks whether the file is flagged in Google's "Safe Browsing" malware database, before allowing any device on my network to receive it.  If any incoming file fails the virus and malware checks, then it would have been blocked by the router.
Cool
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I just downloaded it, using the link in John's post as well as going to the site and downloading it again from there. Both times, no issues, and double checked with WIndows Defender.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
John_Essex
Grafter

This is very odd  Undecided
Just downloaded it again and this time no warning.
Then scanned the file with AVG and it says its clean
See screen shot which is different than yesterdays attempt at downloading it.