Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking problems, no file exchanging

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Networking problems, no file exchanging

I would be inclined to remove and reseat the card, and reinstall the drivers for the ethernet card. If this does not work, PCI ethernet cards are pretty cheap, but a 4 port router while a tad more expensive, better in the long run. DSLDepot do cheap routers, although they are B Grade, I bought a speedtouch 585v6 a couple of years back, never had a problem with it.
techguy
Grafter

F and P sharing would still need to be active on the host for this to work
community
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
F and P sharing would still need to be active on the host for this to work
...............which was going to be my next question.
What's the use of  a 4port router if all it gives me is a connection to the Internet on my PC2.???
I rang my local supplier yesterday and he had an off er of an 8port router for £15 !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This last post has baffled me.
With a 4 port router you connect each PC to the router and use that as a method of file and printer sharing instead of a second network connection and crossover cable.
Or am I missing something totally obvious in this long thread
paulby
Grafter

I think the OP's problem is that he can access the internet with his current configuration but cannot access shared folders or printers.  Changing to a router would leave him in the same situation unless he can get File and Printer Sharing to work.
Quote from: community
The setup includes a network adapter and accompanying crossover cable and this gets me Internet browsing without  problem, but I cannot swop files or print centrally from it.

Although he also appears to be saying that he can't connect from the 2nd PC:
Quote from: community
I can almost get connection but only as far as "limited or no connection"....which doesn't help.

@community
Could you set all your network adapters back to getting an IP address automatically?  As I posted earlier, you shouldn't need to manually configure IP addresses (if you do, however, the client must be in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 - see linked article later).
Also, could you check that ethernet cards are enabled OK by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties.  Go to the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.  Under network adapters check that there are no exclamation marks or red crosses through any of the ethernet cards (if there are you'll either need to enable them or reinstall the drivers by right clicking on the individual card).
You asked earlier how to manually configure the network.  This article  will expalin how to do that.  Just follow the steps for both host and client. 
You still haven't said if you've followed the instructions in the Microsoft KB article - we need to know if NetBIOS and File and Printer sharing are installed and enabled on your machine(s).  Here are the relevant bits
Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and start the Computer Browser service
Step 1: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.
8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
9. Close the Network Connections window.
Step 2: Start the Computer Browser service
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Double-click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. On the right side, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.
5. Close the Computer Management window.

Install File and Print Sharing and make sure that it is not blocked by Windows Firewall
Step 1: Install File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks
1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties. 
3. Click the General tab, and then click Install.
4. Click Service, and then click Add.
5. In the Network Service list, click File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and then click OK. 
6. Click Close.
Step 2: Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is not blocked by Windows Firewall
1. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, make sure that the Don't allow exceptions check box is not selected.
3. Click the Exceptions tab.
4. On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I share my printer and file connections via the multi-port router.
In my case, that's 4 wireless and one wired connection.
The printer is connected to one of the PC's.
So just do your shares to ip addresses such as 192.168.xxx.yyy (or via name resolution via your hosts file, for instance)
Let the router do the routing!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

techguy
Grafter

Yep
I've not been able to give this problem as much attention as I would have liked due to work and other stuff going on
Hope the procedures documented by others sort out the problem for you.
community
Grafter

@Paul03
I have gone through ALL the steps you suggested and everything complies with the requested actions, except that when going to the  paragraph under "run ncpa.cpl", I get a notice that drivers are not installed and I am advised to insert the manufacturers disk. This has me baffled, so I cannot complete the operations. (I have reported this earlier , but I think you probably missed it somehow)
OK so tomorrow I am going to my supplier and purchase the 8port router for £15 he has waiting for me.......
That should clear all of the problems.. Undecided
I have said this before but once again, thanks to all who who have participated in this thread....................
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@community
I hope the router solves your issues, and if not, it should be a bit easier to solve them. Only thing I can say, is make sure this 8 port router has an ASDL modem, as I am not sure if you can connect the Voyager 210 to a WAN port on a non ADSL router, and it also makes things simpler, if its all in one box!!  If you can, then I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me can reply  ;).  Be aware this may not fix the file sharing issues, but I would connect up the router to both PCs, (not using the PCI ethernet card in PC1), and then see what happens, if its still not working post back, with IPCONFIG /all details for both PCs, and also make sure Pauls advice on netbios is completed. Also make sure the server service is running. TBH, running the XP home networking wizrd should work, as thats what its designed to do.
Good Luck Cheesy Cheesy
community
Grafter

@ penfold
Just when I was going to settle all my problems with a new router, you have come up with some tech stuff like "WAN on a non ADSL router"  Angry
It just so happens that ERNIE has just bequeathed me a few quid so I might just buy something a bit more sophisticated....so what are your recommendations for a "best,cheapest" one for around £50 ?Huh
I already asked PN for a quote on their Routers but I'm still waiting for an answer after a couple of days............
cheers
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have a look here  http://www.dslsource.co.uk - I just bought a Netgear DG834G v4 for under £50 and am delighted with it (this is wireless as well as wired)
The advantage of this model is that you can tweak all sorts of things, including the default noise margin, using RouterStats
paulby
Grafter

@community
The command "run ncpa.cpl" should only open your network connections folder (it's a shortcut command to save going through the menus). You can achieve the same by going Start>Control Panel>Network Connections. 
This not working suggests a problem with your Windows installation (hence it asking for the disk). However, as it appears to be asking for a driver to be installed you could try running a Windows Update - select Custom and let it run.  Once it's complete and lists the results then look under Hardware in the left hand column to see if it picked up any drivers. If it did - install them!
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@community
Sorry for confusing you Wink
As oldjim has said, decent routers can be bought easily for under 50quid.  Speedtouch and Netgear I have found to be the best makes, but others use differnet with no issues.  ADSL routers, have the modem built in, and make it so much easier, as you just plug your modem cable in the DSL port, your ethernet cable in the LAN ports, loginto the router, and input your connection details (username@plusdslnet usually  and password), and you should be away on the t'internet. Get this sorted first, and connect both PCs, and then try file and printer sharing, making sure of all the usuals, such as same username and password on both systems, same workgroup etc, as has previously been mentioned.
Let us know how you go  Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Hi Paul
Eaactly what baffled me.
Think the machine needs a complete scrub and reinstall from a disk (preferably with a non customised Windows disk) rather than something like a restore patition as it sounds very much as though the install is stuffed if its looking for a disk when accessing the network control panel applet.
community
Grafter

Hi techguy
I'm afraid you're not paying attention  Smiley
I already said that I did a complete re-install and format and what is more it has this afternoon accepted SP3 installation.