cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking & sharing input devices

Razer
Grafter

Re: Networking & sharing input devices

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
kmilburn
Grafter

An alternative to a KVM is to use RDP,  which has the added advantage that ut's easier to copy data between machines.
A quick guide from MS... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection#connect-using-rem...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

RDP isn't an option!
Quote from: Razer
My XP system is Home
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kmilburn
Grafter

While XP Home desn't come with RDP by default,  it is possible to install it.
Another alternative is one of the various flavours of VNC  (TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc.)
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

As mentioned earlier, XP Home has the remote access services installed by default. Information available via "Help and Support".
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

XP Home has the CLIENT side installed by default so you can use it to access PCs (or servers) which will accept incoming remote desktop connections. You can't enable remote desktop connections on the Home versions of XP or Windows 7.
See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/remote-desktop-connection and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315328
Razer: will the Windows 7 be Home or Professional (or Ulitmate or Enterprise)? If so you would be able to use RDP but the XP Home system would have to be the primary PC and you could use it to open a remote destop on the Windows 7 PC.
Razer
Grafter

Win 7 Home Premium.
I'm not liking the look of this. It's seeming more and more that just so I can copy files between the drives of two computers I'm going to have services running that I normally have disabled. I'd have thought in this day and age that if I can plug an external drive in and copy to/from, there would be a similarly simple process of just connecting two computers without having to have a host of services and programs and passwords all set up on both computers. I'm beginning to wonder if this is not going to be more of a pain in the arse.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's two separate issues being discussed here, (a) accessing/transferring files (and printing) and (b) accessing both PCs using a single screen keyboard and mouse.
(a) does not require you to do anything other than make sure both machines belong to the same workgroup and it's best if you set up exactly the same user names and passwords on the two machines.
(b) is the one where you will need to install extra software such as TightVNC which will allow you to access the desktop from the second machine via a window on the first machine.
HTH
PS It may be that you need to have a keyboard plugged in to the second machine as the BIOS won't boot up without one attached. That could be hidden somewhere as you won't be using it when using VNC.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Win 7 Home Premium.
I'm not liking the look of this. It's seeming more and more that just so I can copy files between the drives of two computers I'm going to have services running that I normally have disabled. I'd have thought in this day and age that if I can plug an external drive in and copy to/from, there would be a similarly simple process of just connecting two computers without having to have a host of services and programs and passwords all set up on both computers. I'm beginning to wonder if this is not going to be more of a pain in the arse.

Calm down! It's really not that bad!
As Jelv says, you're looking at two seperate issues and getting them slightly muddled.
First of all, on your old machine, setup TightVNC and let it run the server as a system service. Give it a password. Now you can use it on your network remotely without a keyboard, mouse etc attached to it. Job done, you have a software driven equivalent of a KVM!
Now, log in to that machine (or do it before the above) and setup file sharing of the folders you want. Make sure the machine is on the same network workgroup as the other machine and in the same IP range.
Now you can move files from one machine to another.
All this talk of unwanted services, security,passwords... it really isn't a big issue. You have tons of services running on your PC anyway and I'll bet you don't really know what many of them are actually doing! How do you know that AudioSrv service for example doesn't send a file list of your documents to the FBI? - You don't. Has the world come crashing to an end yet because of it? Has your computer blown up? Has your front door been kicked in by the police based on your files? No. Chill out!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

It is a big issue in the sense that my head simply doesn't need anything complicated. I can't be doing with it and I certainly don't want to be getting into setting up servers with IP addresses and passwords and access control etc. etc. etc. The rough looks I've had over the various suggestions seem to indicate such things. It's not about some freak out over the FBI, or whatever agency (though I do naturally and normally have reasonable security concerns with anything). I don't know where you got that idea from. I do, by the way, know exactly what services are running on my machine and what they are for. I made a study of that years ago (when my head could handle complicated lol). My basic XP loads with only 14 services running and my main interest there (aside from general security concerns) is efficiency - why allow twenty other services to run from OS load that you don't need or want - even though Microsoft thinks you should (read: design OSes based on the presumption that most people are thick and they want to cut down on the amount of support calls they get so have EVERYTHING running)? Oh, another 'by the way' - I AM CALM! lol
@ Jelv. Thanks for that. I still have plenty of thinking to do and likely will try networking and see how it is in practice because I REALLY AM fed up with using my external drive as it is ;D. As to the software KVM thing, well it IS looking as I thought, that I'd still need the keyboard, at least, plugged in for boot, which makes me think well I may as well go for the full keyboard/mouse setup anyway - um, if I can.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

In the bios, see if you can set it up to ignore "missing keyboard" errors most recent (>2000) have this.
Then no need to have a kb plugged in.
NedLudd
Grafter

For what its worth I access my old XP Pro machine by Remote Desktop from my Win7 box. This requires no further software or hardware.
The XP BIOS has been told that there is no keyboard, mouse etc attached. In fact, all it does have attached is a USB wifi adapter to the router!
When I want to use the XP box I kick it into action and log in via remote desktop - easy peasy!
Thinking about it, the XP box isn't even in the same room. It's tucked away in a bedroom well out of sight!
Geoff,
York.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

well it IS looking as I thought

Why? - I've had loads of headless machines over the years and never needed a keyboard plugged into any of them. The only time I suffer is when the cmos battery is failing and the bios settings get forgotten - then you need a keyboard plugged in to press F1 and everything else you need to do (somewhat of a pain when the damn thing weighs 30 or so kilos and you have to drag it out to connect a monitor etc)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you want to transfer files, just use VNC to run FTP. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
In the bios, see if you can set it up to ignore "missing keyboard" errors most recent (>2000) have this.
Then no need to have a kb plugged in.

Ah, very good point there, McB. Thanks for reminding me. I have a vague recollection of something like that in a BIOS. I'll find out when I check if it's this one, or from my previous computer. Grin
Thanks for all the input, gents. I appreciate it.