Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking advice.

Devonian
Grafter

Networking advice.

Chaps, Im looking for a little advice.
Im fairly competant with all things broadband, but Im not to sure about sharing files with each of my devices, or even if they are all compatible.
Basically I have a lap top and pc running vista, a xbox, and a htc desirehd that I would like to share media between.  Mainly music and pictures.
I have never treid this before, so I would like a little help if possible.
Cheers all.  Grin
5 REPLIES 5
hadden
Grafter

Re: Networking advice.

One option to investigate is DLNA.
Here's a page that briefly describes how to use Media Player 11 on a PC to share stuff with an HTC Desire.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I use Subsonic on my desktop PC to share media with my Android phone. My laptops/xbox/pc just share stuff using vanilla Windows filesharing.
Edit: fixed broken hyperlink.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Devonian
Grafter

After lots of swearing, I've decided to give up!
I can't get my pc to see the xbox, I have no idea why.
I have tried adding the xbox as an extender to media centre, and it fails every time telling me either the add on is switched off or being blocked by a fire wall.
The fire wall is disabled, the router is set to allow upnp, and the xbox is definately on!
As for the android phone... well lets just say Im even closer to total baldness!!
Thanks for the advice guys, but I failed!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one thing is they have to have the same work group name,  XP is different to Win 7 by default - does that clue help
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

In my personal opinion if it was me I'd have windows media centre set up on the xbox and maybe subsonic on one of the PCs sharing between those should be straight forward, but the main thing that seems to trip people up here is their firewall so that is something to bear in mind if you haven't already.
As Bob mentioned accessing your music library via subsonic can then be done locally or via the web and there is an Android app (which I've personally used and do rate) for subsonic.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team