Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking a Dial-up modem

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Networking a Dial-up modem

Just had a thought after reading of users who lose internet access due to an exchange fault.
When I report a fault I get a free dial-up number which, if I can find a modem, I can use.
At present we have two computers networked and sharing the broadband connection (used to be 4 and could be 3 for the purposes of the question as I have an old PC with a PCI modem in it)
Is it possible to set up windows networking so that all users can share the dial-up connection on one of the computers using the router for the network connections. I know it will be slow but at least we can keep the emails working.
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Networking a Dial-up modem

Used to do it a few years ago.
Also vaguely recall a piece of software that offered the facility....don't ask me what it was called though Undecided
Modemshare
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Not sure about a M$ solution but Linux has a single floppy solution to using a pc as a gateway, freesco
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thanks all - it looks a bit too complicated as it would all need to be reset when the broadband works again - goes away to look for a cheap USB dial up modem  Embarrassed which will work on XP, Vista and Windows 7  Roll_eyes
Alternatively I could install PCI modems as I have a few knocking about in my bits box
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Nat32 might be a better solution for you since it is essentially a software router which can also control various connection methods. The genius part is that it can handle both dial up and broadband connections. It's just bloody hard to get tech support from the author!
As I say its a software router so you just set all computers on your network to use one gateway ip and you never need to change that after no matter what type of connection you use etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!