Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problems

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Network problems

I have a network which consists of 2 computers, one of which is connected wirelessly. The router I have is a Netgear DG834GT.
The problem I am experiencing is the wireless computer loses connection to the internet when it is switched off and then back on again the next day. This problem is overcome if the router is switched off and then back on again. Both computers are set up to have dynamic IP addresses. Is this what has to be done or is there some way of overcoming the problem without having to keep switching off the router? I would add that I also have a VOIP phone connected which I have assigned a static IP address to so I can access the phone's control panel via its IP address.
I have only noticed this problem recently because I used to switch my computer and router off every night but now that I am using the VOIP phone I prefer to keep the router connected.
Annie
Annie
7 REPLIES 7
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Network problems

hi annie
I have had the same issues as well. I have a wired Desktop, and a wireless laptop, via a PCMCIA card, which is left in the system.  On occasion, when I switch on the laptop, everything appears to be fine, lights come on the card as normal, but I have no internet access at all. My systems are all set up with static IPs.  I have never found a solution to this, but have found that if I remove and reinsert the card, all is fine. How is the wireless on your system, USB,PC Card or built in?  I would try switching wireless off and then on again, see if it works.  Easier than rebooting the system.  Never tried this myself, but have you tried to see if you have an IP from the DHCP server when this happens.  If its an address beginning 168.x.x.x (I think), then you have not been assigned an IP.
Annie
Rising Star

Hi there,
Sorry for initially posting this in the wrong forum.
The wireless computer is attached using a USB adapter. Yes, I looked a day or two ago and I think the IP began 169..... which I think is a temporary IP when it can't assign a proper one.
I'm not sure how to switch off wireless unless you just mean I untick 'Enable Wireless Access Point' or 'Turn Access Control On' in the router setup.
Annie
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Annie
Wouldnt bother messing with the router.  Either use windows feature to safely disconnect hardware, or just pullout the adapter, wait a couple of seconds, and then plug it back in. 
Forgot to mention in my previous post, my desktop is currently using wireless at the in as well, via a netgear WG111V2, and this has also happened, very occasionally with this as well, and I have just pulled the adapter, and plugged it back in, and all OK.  Like I said, have never really bothered to look into this in more detail, suppose I should really, I have just put it down to one of those things in life that annoys you Wink
Anyhow, wont hurt to give it a try.  For what its worth my router is an ST585V6, and also this has happened on a TG585V7.  DOnt use matched adapters, so maybe thats an issue????
samuria
Grafter

It would seem your problem is your not getting a ip from the router. This could be due to a faulty wireless card but not likely. What is most likely is either your have someone on the same channel in your area which is blocking the signal or you are getting interference from some source.
Solutions
get netstumbler from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-Monitoring/NetStumbler.shtml run it and see if there is anyone on the same channel if so change to a free one. You may have to check several times as it could be someone that only comes on at a certain time.
Netstumbler will also show noise in the area.
Get a small portable radio and tune it off channel on M/W so there is n noise then walk between the laptop and router and see if you hear any noise if you can you may be able to work out were it comes from ie tv, microwave, ps, xbox dec phone.
Set the laptop up with a fixed ip and ensure it set to connect to the router by default
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I had this type of problem when I used to use vista. If the machine is hibernated rather than powered off then the network hardware doesn't get properly reset when it starts up. My solution then was to reboot, then eventually get rid of vista for Ubuntu. Your solution might be easier if you remove the usb dongle and then plug it back in like you have already done. You may want to look on the manufactures web site to see if there is an updated driver for it.
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks everyone for the pointers.
I assigned the wireless computer a fixed IP and I also removed an unsecured wireless network that someone around here seems to have and it seems to have done the job. I had removeed this before but it came back again. Note, I'm not talking about when you refresh for networks - it's in the setup when you right click the wireless connection in 'Network Connections' in XP. Hopefully it won't reappear again.
Cheers,
Annie
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I'm sad to say I'm still getting the problem but not all the time. We now get a yellow exclamation mark on the icon in the system tray (and in netwok connections) saying 'limited or no connectivity' but I can't see one in device manager. It doesn't want to repair either. After I try, the icon has a red cross through it.
We seem to have 0.0.0.0 as an IP address. I don't know how to change the channel in case this is upsetting things. I have a netgear DG834GT router and a netgear WG111T USB adapter but use Windows XP SP2 to control the wireless connection. I can't remember why we used the Windows setup but there was a reason when we first set it up in our old house.
However, I've just swapped over to the netgear adapter's software and I see that there are other wireless connections around me on the same channel. I have managed to work out how to change the channel. The netgear software shows an IP address beginning with 169. but I still can't connect without a router reboot. Pulling out the adapter and plugging it in again doesn't do it. The problem is I can't aquire an IP address.
I've tried updating the driver but it didn't want to. I can't understand why this has only happened since we moved.
I have also been expieriencing short disconnections from the internet on my computer, which is attached to the router via an ethernet cable. However, whilst annoying, it seems to reconnect after a minute. Any reasons as to why this might be happening too?
Annie