cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problems

juliasdream
Grafter

Network problems

I thought I had understood how to setup a network, until now that is.
Using XP and microsoft setup wizard I have always found it easy to do. I just had to create a disc on one computer and install it on the others to be networked and the computers found each other. I find that this does not work when trying to network 2 computers where one is using XP and the other Vista.
The main computer with Vista is connected directly to the D-Link wirelessmodem/router. The other computer is a laptop using XP SP3.
The laptop can connect to the router either via a Linksys wireless adapter on PCMCIA or on Ethernet via Solwise home plug. Both methods connect it to the internet successfully.
I tried creating a disc on the laptop to carry the networking info over to the main computer but Vista does not recognize it
I tried to set it up manually making sure both computers have the same network name but trying to get them to see each other is another matter. I just find myself going around in circles getting nowhere, whatever I do.
I have books on the subject but they all eem to cater for XP or earlier systems
Can anyone please advise me what I may be doing wrong and where I can go from here?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Network problems

Try working thru this article  windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/6ed24a90-6b57-4f0f-a3b3-e521ae945f331033.mspx
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Very very first thing to try is to dissable IPv6 in the Vista network connection properties.  I know it should effectivly make no difference, but I have had it on several ocasions that turning off v6 brings up the network a treat.  It's quick and easy and well worth a try before any lengthy solutions are implimented
samuria
Grafter

Can you do a ipconfig /all on both pc's and post the results.
To connect vista and xp xp must have a password set or vista wont let it connect. Xp most have simple file sharing unticked in explorer(no IE) under folder options
Its simpler if both pcs have the same username and password and you logon with the same on both pc's.
The firewall on both pcs may have to be set to allow traffic on local network.
Can you ping the other pc from either machine? If you cant and the ip address is in the same range then its a firewall issue.
If both pc's can get out to the internet they should be setup ok if you have tired to setup file sharing by a wizard then Vista may try and be a dhcp server and if the router is one as well it wont work
juliasdream
Grafter

Thanks to all for their suggestions
I followed the link provided by BrewerDave and it seemes t be the right solution. Both computers can now see each other  Smiley