cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network adaptor can't start code 10

albannachmor

Network adaptor can't start code 10

This morning , I had the problem outlined in the title. This meant no internet connection available on my desktop  via ethernet cable from my netgear router. I have a fall-back position with an Edimax USB dongle so can connect wirelessly. This has been a problem for many in the past and today I found a solution via this forum.
" Help with Netgear WN1100 wireless Adapter "  on the last page of this post in this forum was advice to change dns servers. I decided to give it a try and it worked !
I have seen many pages in the past with no answers forthcoming on this problem so, I felt obliged to register and commend the posting to all. Thank you to Chandu for asking the question and Oldjim for answers.  Smiley
my router DGND3300 but it still worked for me
5 REPLIES 5
albannachmor

Network adaptor can't start code 10---re-visited

I regret to say that since my last posting the problem has returned and changing dns servers is making no difference.
I am now back to square 1 and open to any suggestions from those who may have experienced the problem.  Sad
To-day the ethernet port light on the router is off and the computer doesn't know it has a connection.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Network adaptor can't start code 10

Topics merged
CX
Grafter

Code 10 indicates either a driver issue and/or hardware fault/incompatibility.
If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is always worth trying disabling USB Selective Suspend, when USB hardware weirdness occurs. It's in the Power Options control panel, in the detailed plan settings.
Make sure you're up to date with Windows Updates too; there have been a few updates to the core USB controller drivers since release.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Uninstall the Edimax software via programs in Control Panel ethernet adaptor in Device Manager and select the option to remove the old drivers (not available in XP).  Unplug the dongle, Restart the computer and install from scratch by loading the Edimax disc let the computer find and re-install the drivers.  You may need an internet connection to do this so keep your wireless connected.
If that does not work then the most likely explanation of your problems is that the dongle ethernet adaptor hardware has become faulty.  If you want a wired connection, a PCI card will set you back about a fiver  
Edited as per ejs' comment.  
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The original problem appears to be with the wired ethernet connection and the Edimax wireless USB adapter already works.
I would look for the latest ethernet driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Maybe check BIOS settings.