cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Connection to TV

Hawks
Grafter

Network Connection to TV

I am having trouble completing the network set-up to my new Sony Bravia TV.  My Belkin wireless router and laptop are in the same room and the network connection strength to my laptop shows as "excellent".  I have followed the on screen instructions on the TV and have entered the WEP security code.  The TV has identified the network I use by its name and it says the wireless devive is "ok".  The IP address has been entered but when it then searches for the internet connection, it comes up with "WPS Router not found". 
The Sony shop man who delivered and set up the TV says he thinks the network signal may not be strong enough.  Does that sound correct?  Doe anyone know how I can complete the network connection?
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Network Connection to TV

what router are you using?
WEP is a bit of a security risk that can be cracked in seconds,WPA is a lot more secure
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Which model is it exactly?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Hawks
Grafter

Thanks.  The router is a Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless G router (compatible with 802.11b abd 802.11g).  Model No FSD 7632-4.
Strat
Community Veteran

What about the TV.
What's it's model number.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Hawks
Grafter

Sorry.  It's a Sony Bravia KDL40HX803.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I think your doing something wrong.
WPS is an automatic setup mechanism, but has to be supported both by the router and the device that wants access.
That error message is suggesting that your asking the TV to go and do automatic connect up.
This is Netgears explanation of WPS.
I didn't check but appart from anything else I suspect your router doesn't support WPS.
I'd guess that you don't need the last option to connect to the Internet, as its already connected (so long as you entered the correct details) and that the "connect to internet" option should infact for the sake of accuracy read "Use WPS to find your router".
Strat
Community Veteran

The reason I asked for the TV model number is to have a read of the manual.
Sadly it is a very poor one with only the basic info. Apparently the detailed manual is built into the TV Undecided
I presume you are using DHCP on the TV (something like 'Internet Protocol Setup - Auto) and you need to use the same security type on the TV as the router... preferably WPA as Pierre says.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another possibility is that some wireless networking kit NEEDS TO SEE the wireless SSID from the router, to make an initial connection !.
If your router has hidden SSID, then try unhiding it and see if you can establish a connection.
If that works, then try hiding it again and see if the wireless network link stays connected, some kit does and some doesn't.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Streaming video would be much better over a wired connection (if this is a possibility for you)
However, is there a "button" on the router which has to be pressed while the device makes the intiial connection (to prevent people hopping onto the network)
just while you test it, can you plug the telly in near your AP, that way while you set it up you can eliminate signal strength etc.
instead of doing the 'easy' setup, run the custom setup (provided you know IPs, and are happy for your TV to be statically assigned)
Smiley