cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear or Speedtouch ?

trufflesdad
Grafter

Netgear or Speedtouch ?

I am thinking of buying either a Speedtouch 546 or a Netgear dg 834..Both of these devices
are supposed to be very easy to setup...Any comments on either device welcomed...
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Netgear or Speedtouch ?

I've only used Netgear myself and can vouch for them. Having said that I've only ever heard good things about the speedtouch as well. As far as I can see it you'll end up with a decent router whichever you go for.
Sorry that's not particularly conclusive but you've chosen two very solid models there.
Prod_Man
Grafter

I have had a Netgear Router until recently,
They are very good, reliable bits of kit.
I used to have a DG834 (Non Wireless,)
I recently changed to an SMC to allow Wireless and internal LAN.
The Netgear is very easy to use as the web interface for Administration is better than the SMC one.
The newer SMC has halved my Ping times on games, Though I didn't upgrade the Firemware on the Netgear.
it has made my ping more fluctuating, depending on packet size (usually).
but always lower with the SMC Router than when I had a Netgear Router.
So long as you're not opting for a totally Wireless setup,
I would choose the DG834 over a Speed Touch.
I would make sure you Update the Firmware of the DG834,
if it has been shipped with the older Firmware.
Hope that helps! Smiley
Jim,
lingbob
Grafter

I have both a ST546 and a DG834 and there's no comparison - the ST546 wins hands down!  Smiley
I used the DG834 for something like 18 months and although I liked it, I found it to be somewhat erratic as far as noise margin was concerned (up and down like a yo-yo). The ST546 is much more stable in every respect and I definitely would not go back to the DG834.
Regards .....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Which DG834? I have the DG834PN and any bluetooth device knocks out the wireless signal
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
lingbob
Grafter

DG834v2 (wired).
Regards .....
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The wireless version speedtouch 585v6 is also highly recommended, as are all the DG834 range except the PN and GT models which both suffer from problems.
Both the 585v6 & 546v6 (better spec version of the 546) are available from www.dsldepot.co.uk at a very reasonable price.
lingbob
Grafter

Should have mentioned that my SpeedTouch is in fact a 546v6  Smiley
Regards .....
Njal
Grafter

I used a Speedtouch 546 at home for a year or two with no problems, we use the wireless version at work. Both versions work well. I have no direct experience of the Netgear, other than setting one up on Sky broadband for a friend, but that seems to work fine. My Speedtouch is now sitting in a drawer as a spare.
I now use a Draytek router, but can't say I've noticed any practical difference between that and the Speedtouch.
Regards,
Neil