cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNR2000

UberMunchkin

Netgear WNR2000

Hi there folks, I've recently signed up with Plusnet and am having some problems getting online.
I have a Netgear WNR2000 wireless router, which is the best n-series wireless device I've used to date so I'm really keen on keeping it.  (Signal strength is excellent even in an old terraced house with this walls and lots of stone).
The problem is that although the guy I spoke to at Plusnet when I placed my order told me that I would be sent an ADSL modem what I've been sent instead is a single port ADSL Router.
The problem this is causing me is fairly simple, it will not talk to my WNR2000 or accept credentials passed to it from the WNR2000 so I cannot get online.
Is there any way anyone here knows of getting them to play nicely?  Is there perhaps a way to shut off the DHCP and DNS in the little Speedtouch that Plusnet sent me and have it get its IP from the existing wireless router? 
At the moment I've got the Speedtouch setup and connecting to the broadband ok but if I plug it into the uplink/internet port on the WNR2000 I cannot get it to accept traffic forwarded by the router, every attempt to get online ends with 'unable to display page'.
11 REPLIES 11
itsme
Grafter

Re: Netgear WNR2000

Yes, I give you a pointer if you have problems then come back and I dig out the manuals for both devices to give specific instructions.
For the Speedtouch you went to set it up in Bridge mode, some modems will give to options routed and non-routed, I normally go for the former but this will mean that you will not be able to access the web interface without doing a hard reset.
For the Netgear you need to select PPPoE and then enter your Plusnet username and password.
This setup the Speedtouch just establish the connection with the exchange and the Netgear establish the PPP connection.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: UberMunchkin
At the moment I've got the Speedtouch setup and connecting to the broadband ok but if I plug it into the uplink/internet port on the WNR2000 I cannot get it to accept traffic forwarded by the router, every attempt to get online ends with 'unable to display page'.

This is because both are using the same IP subnet of 192.168.1.x. So another solution is to change the Netgear LAN to 192.168.0.x then things will work. But you will be doubled NAT, firewall and DHCP so my advice will go for the bridge option.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: UberMunchkin
although the guy I spoke to at Plusnet when I placed my order told me that I would be sent an ADSL modem what I've been sent instead is a single port ADSL Router.

There isn't any such thing as a standalone ADSL modem for a connection via telephone. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

oh yeh whats this then, it was reviewed in last months PC Pro mag

* ADSL, ADSL2 & ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem
    * Bridge (pass) a single IP address or a whole public subnet
    * Ideal Partner for DrayTek dual-WAN products
    * Ethernet Connection for client device (router, PC etc.)
    * ADSL Parameters pre-set for UK parameters (adjustable)
    * Normally no setup/configuration of the Vigor 120 required
    * Annex A & Annex M
    * Note: The Vigor 120 supercedes the Vigor 100/110

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: itsme
For the Netgear you need to select PPPoE and then enter your Plusnet username and password.

That's PPPoA, actually.  I know there have been reports of some people experiencing problems and finding their router fails to reconnect unless they switch settings to PPPoA but they are the exception rather than the rule.  I have a Netgear router running PPPoA and my current connection has been going for 203 hours solid.  My Netgear router also uses the subnet 192.168.0.x  by default.  
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: pierre_pierre
oh yeh whats this then, it was reviewed in last months PC Pro mag

Well for one thing it's about twice the cost of a simple ADSL router.  If I said there was no such thing as a bicycle with square wheels you could probably find something online to contradict me but that still doesn't mean it's a practical proposition. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I know and it was hooked up to a Netgear SRXN3205 router, just look at the spec on that, wish I could afford it
itsme
Grafter

@ReedRichards
Sorry but you are wrong on both points.
1) There are modems only and a Netgear DM111P is one. This has no router or NAT.
2) PPPoE has to be used on routers only devices as PPPoA is not an option.
itsme
Grafter

As an example these are the types of connection available for the SRXN3205
Table 2-1. Internet connection methods
Connection Method        Data Required
DHCP (Dynamic IP)                     No data is required.

PPPoE                              Login (Username, Password);
                                         Account Name, Domain Name (sometimes required).

PPTP                                         Login (Username, Password),
                                        Local IP address, and PPTP Server IP address;
                                        Account Name (sometimes required).

Fixed (Static) IP                   Static IP address, Subnet, and Gateway IP; DNS Server IP addresses.

So only DHCP, PPPoE PPTP and Static are available. If a modem is working in Bridge then DHCP and Static cannot be used as no PPP session has started.  So only PPPoE will be able to start a PPP session.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: itsme
@ReedRichards
Sorry but you are wrong on both points.
1) There are modems only and a Netgear DM111P is one. This has no router or NAT.
2) PPPoE has to be used on routers only devices as PPPoA is not an option.

1)  Yes, you are correct but stand-alone modems are pretty rare and pretty expensive (compared to the cost of a router with a built-in ADSL modem).
2)  Yes, sorry.  Of course you need to set PPPoA on the modem input but the modem output is PPPoEthernet so the router input needs to be set to match.
itsme
Grafter

Most manufacturers do a Ethernet modem and yes they may look expensive compared to Home use modem/routers but not compared against businesses using firewalls and VPN routers. As the modem is normally the most vulnerable it make sense having this seperate from the routers. I know as my DM111P was taken out by lightning 6 weeks ago.
Ethernet modems normally will have these options PPPoA, PPPoE, Routed Bridging and RFC 2684 bridged Ethernet over ATM. The first 3 options the router will be set  to use DHCP and it's only the latter that use PPPoE.