cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear N300 Wifi Extender causes havoc......

bpascua
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Netgear N300 Wifi Extender causes havoc......

Hello All,

I recently moved to plusnet, since friday I have had some issues getting iphones/ipads onto the network. I realised last night that these issues disappear if I disconnect my Netgear Repeater/Extender EX2700(n300). I used this for years on my old network without issues, any ideas what it might be? I cant see an IP conflict. I gave the extender a fixed IP high in the ip addresses so it wouldn't clash. I reset it and reconfigured it but the behaviour is odd - I basically can no longer get certain gadgets to join the network. If I switch the repeater off within 60 seconds they join....

The router I have is the zero which seems to have no detail in the disney like interface. I did find another way to login using the expert user view where I can at least see what is logged into the router. The need for the repeater is that upstairs the phones and ipads have very poor signal...

Any ideas or thoughts? I am happy to buy another repeater but I am worried I will get the same issue?

thanks

Brian

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Netgear N300 Wifi Extender causes havoc......

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The Plusnet Hub Zero is a very basic router with poor WiFi performance. If you have £20-30 to spare then go onto an auction site such as Ebay and get a BT Smarthub 6 instead, you will find the setting instructions that enables you to use it on your Plusnet service on the router board. You might find that you do not need the extender as the WiFi on these is dual band and far superior.

Having said that, why are you setting a fixed IP address on the extender? From my reading of the installation instructions all you need to do is press the WPS button on the extender followed within two minutes the WPS button on the router. It might be worth while first factory resetting the extender by pushing a paperclip or similar into the factory reset hole in the router and holding the switch closed for at least 10 seconds. Wait for the extender to boot fully before you press the WPS button..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bpascua
Grafter

Hello,

I was trying to understand if I had an IP conflict on the network, using DHCP each time you reboot the extender it gets a new IP. However regardless of if I set a static IP or let the router manage it I still see problems. DO you think I am better off getting a BT Smarthub 6 than messing around with an extender?

bpascua
Grafter

HI - I was just looking on ebay at the BT smart hub 6. Are there any gotchas in terms of the spec or type I need with ADSL?

thanks

Brian

Baldrick1

Could I live with a Hub Zero?, No I would replace it with a FTTC Smarthub 6. I have a Hub Zero and I used it for less than an hour before swapping it for a spare router. 

Do I know why you are having problems with your extender? No.

Would I buy another extender? No, there's no guarantee it would make any difference.

Can I guarantee that buying a Smarthub 6 will solve your problem? No.

Sorry but it's a case of suck it and see. Unless of course someone else knows differently.

Moderator and Customer

bpascua
Grafter

Looking on ebay is it the type A hub? or any one with the 4 yellow ports?

Baldrick1

Any one with four yellow LAN ports. You need to avoid the FTTP versions which have a red WAN sticker over one of the yellow LAN ports. There are also the odd Ultrafast versions around which I would avoid. The Business versions are better as you have more control, for example, you can set your own DNS servers.

Moderator and Customer

bpascua
Grafter

Thanks - I just ordered a new one. I also saw your write up on the forums about how to set the homehub up so i will follow that when it arrives. Its slightly disappointing that Plusnet use such a [-Censored-] router, maybe they want everyone on Fibre?

Thanks again

Brian

Baldrick1

To be honest the fibre router is a rebadged Home Hub 5a with tweeked software so whilst it is a better device it's hardly cutting edge.I'm afraid that it's the price you pay for using a freebie modem/router supplied by a budget ISP.

Moderator and Customer

bpascua
Grafter

Quick update. After me not putting the correct plusnet username in the new BTHH6 initially, the setup worked as described by baldrick. ALL my devices are now connecting with no issues (thank god) The signal is a bit better than the Plusnet zero router.

I also configured my repeater which works well with the HH. So basically all the WIFI issues that I had were down to the rubbish router than Plusnet give to the poor ADSL users....and then tell you have interference on your network. Its a shame as support were great, but on my 3rd call I should have been getting a different router (if one exists)

thanks to all who helped.

Brian