cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DGN 2000 Woes

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Netgear DGN 2000 Woes

Bought this of ebay a while back, Seller failed to tell me It was American, Anyway got It set up UK standards etc but ever since I got this router I have only one problem with It, I have tried everything, Flashing various firmwares, Now using DGTeam firmware but the problem still persists and Its doing my nut In, Maybe the router Is faulty? I don't know but I've been trying to figure It out for yonks.
The problem Is this, The router works fine but If I lose sync with my exchange It re-syncs back up but when I go to my PC I cant access the net. Yellow exclamation mark on my connection bottom right, Windows 7,  Yet I can gain access to the router via my browser and It says every thing's hooked up fine, All the light are on green, Says I am connected.Only a complete reboot gets me back on-line correctly again.Nothing wrong with the PC or my Ethernet as only this router does this, Is It something I can fix or am I just going to have to bin It?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Netgear DGN 2000 Woes

What you need is some help from an Aspiring Expert  Grin

NOT !
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Or maybe It needs this Cool
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Are the TCP/IPv4 properties of your network adaptor set to the defaults of acquiring a local IP address and DNS server IP addresses from the router?
What happens if you disable the network adaptor then re-enable it rather than restarting the computer?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yep they are at the defaults, Have not tried disabling my card then re-enabling It from the PC, Might give that a go next time, I did try troubleshooting the connection from my pc but It said there was a problem getting Internet access from the router, ( The router did not have Internet access ) But everything In the router says Its connected and all lights are green for on. Could the modem be Knackered  In the router?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Sometimes I cannot get wireless access to a router with a knackered old Windows XP laptop.
You may find that rebooting the PC will fix it - but probably not.
Rebooting the router will generally fix it.
When this happens, none of my Linux PC's are affected - ever.
Indeed, I might use a Linux PC to connect to the wireless modem/router to perform a controlled reboot of the router.  Cheesy
Sometimes, I just tell the affected person to use Linux.  Cheesy Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=A Fox is Evil]Sometimes I cannot get wireless access to a router with a knackered old Windows XP laptop.
Didn't we fix this issue months ago by setting the XP machine to be a static TCP/IP address and to manually configure the DNS settings in the wireless network properties ?

My network behaves in exactly the same way !
An XP laptop used to have networking issues when the settings were taken from the router, which could only be fixed with a router reboot - as a laptop restart didn't work !.
That problem was resolved by manually setting the DNS values in XP.
As you say while it looked like a router problem, all the other machines (Linux - Ubuntu) just carried on working.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm not trying to hook up via wifi, I'm just hooking up via Ethernet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: A
....Sometimes, I just tell the affected person to use Linux.  Cheesy Cheesy

Only sometimes?!?  Shocked
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Steve M ]I'm not trying to hook up via wifi, I'm just hooking up via Ethernet.
But if you are having the same problem that Fox and I had, then the problem is not with the router (as Linux still worked), it is not with the wireless connection (in our case), it looks most likely to be an oddity in Windows networking or security (for whatever reason) and could quite possibly affect all or any network connection method.
So try using both a static TCP/IP address AND manually set DNS values in the wired connection properties, and see whether it makes any improvement, it doesn't cost anything and it can't do any harm !
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Certainly give It a bash at some point although It happens under Linux Mint as well, Will tinker around next time I am using that router and see what I can do.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=A Fox is Evil]Sometimes I cannot get wireless access to a router with a knackered old Windows XP laptop.

Didn't we fix this issue months ago by setting the XP machine to be a static TCP/IP address and to manually configure the DNS settings in the wireless network properties ?
My network behaves in exactly the same way !
An XP laptop used to have networking issues when the settings were taken from the router, which could only be fixed with a router reboot - as a laptop restart didn't work !.
That problem was resolved by manually setting the DNS values in XP.
As you say while it looked like a router problem, all the other machines (Linux - Ubuntu) just carried on working.

We/you did "fix" it.
It did appear to stay fixed - for a while.  Cheesy
But it's back to it's old ways and quite honestly I can't be bothered with it. Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fortunately for me, SWMBO's XP laptop networking has stayed fixed as she doesn't seem keen on upgrading the machine to Ubuntu  Shocked
even though all the other PCs in the house now run quicker and more reliably on Ubuntu than they ever did when they were running Windows !  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: purleigh
But if you are having the same problem that Fox and I had, then the problem is not with the router (as Linux still worked), it is not with the wireless connection (in our case)

I have the inverse problem with my Netgear DG834PN.  Sometimes the wired connection, which is to my Windows 7 computer, will fail and cannot be re-established without restarting the router.  But wireless connections to the router and the internet connection still work fine.  In my case this must be a router problem (at least in part) which I ascribe to old age.  I think the point is you just have to mess around a bit, try different permutations and see if anything works.  If you cannot find anything you can do to the computer to overcome the problem then the cause of the problem is likely to be the router.   
VileReynard
Hero

Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the wired connection at the router or PC end?