cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DGB111G or DG834G

Sisyphus

Netgear DGB111G or DG834G

A few questions for the wise from someone about to set up home wireless:
1. Many folk suggest Netgear - which is better ... the DGB111G or DG834G?  The specs and prices seem very similar.
2. Is the faster DG834GT worth the extra?
3. Is there advantage in sticking with PlusNet's Voyager 2110 in order to get support from PlusNet (despite the waiting for delivery that is mentioned on this forum)?  I have had excellent help from PlusNet the few times I have asked for it.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: Netgear DGB111G or DG834G

What is a DGB111G - I can't see it on Netgear site?
Many report the DG834G is an excellent product and I agree. The GT version also good but extra speed usually irrelevant. If you are moving large files between machines it may be worth the extra money but very few will see the benefit of this.  For Internet usage your connection speed determins rate of downloads etc and this will always be much slower than router to PC so extra theoretical speed of router will be not seen.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Further digging...
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_starterkit_dgb111g.php
DGB111G is not a product it's a bundle of a DG834G router with a WG111 Wireless USB Adapter. So better if yo have a need for the USB adapter.
Sisyphus

Thanks, Nick
You're right about the Netgear site showing it as the bundle but on Amazon.co.uk it looks different.  On closer inspection it is the same one (DG834G) standing on its end with the aerial turned around!! (Just got new specs and they're not quite tuned in to computer screen focal length ... or is it just my brain?)
Thanks for the advice.  No doubt I'll be back for more as I try to set it up.  Wish me luck!
Peter
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

/2p
I had an old Belkin router which after a few firmware upgraded decided that it wasn't going to hold the SNR too well, and always synced lower than it should - I subsequently bought the DG834G, found it easy to set up and it's been rock solid ever since.
I do like the basic content filtering that is built into it but it's a bit picky and does block legitimate sites if you don't have it set up quite right..
\2p
The_10th
Grafter

Netgear DG834G has my vote but if you have a 'free' BT Voyager why pay the money (unless you want a spare in case of faults)?