Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear D7000v2 IPTV picture breakup

nealenapier
Dabbler

Netgear D7000v2 IPTV picture breakup

Hi

I have successfully setup IPTV by trawling the plusnet community BUT, I'm getting picture breakup on my subscription channels. I've tried a lot of settings to try and resolve. Plusnet can't give me any help at all or any IPTV settings, literally none. I'm not after support, just the settings that are hidden inside the hub one.

I'm connected on ethernet cable and I've plugged the cable from the youview box into my laptop and got downloads of 50MB and uploads of 15MB. Basically the internet is pretty solid.

Netgear support (or the people I spoke to) didn't even know what IPTV was i.e. multicast, so no joy there.

Anyone got a clue?

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Netgear D7000v2 IPTV picture breakup

Hi there,

As far as I’m aware the only ‘criteria’ you’d need for IPTV is a multi-cast router, there shouldn’t be any special settings. 

Having said that I’ve done a quick Google search and is ‘Disable IGMP Proxy’ unchecked when you go into the WAN settings of your router?

It also may be worth carrying out the steps Here.

Let us know how you get on. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nealenapier
Dabbler

Hi and thanks.

My router comes with IPTV out of the box, supposedly. It has an IPTV page. I can confirm that IGMP is not disabled. There is an internet page with 2 groups of settings. One is for internet and one is for IPTV (first attachment). I also have a VLAN/Bridge page, where I can add something like you point to in the article. This feels like duplication, but anyway I tried it (2nd attachment) and now youview does not connect to the internet or stream at all.

I don't know if the VLAN ids make sense though as the internet and iptv are both 101, but this is where I get lost and why I'm thinking it is not as simple as just enabling IPTV. There are also the VCI and VPI settings under the IPTV, are these relevant?

Any other ideas? It is strange how IPTV basically works without adding an entry on the VLAN/Bridge page, but it is just suffering from picture break up on what is a good speed ethernet connection.

nealenapier
Dabbler

I messed up the attachments. Here is the other one.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @nealenapier 

VPI is 0 and VCI is 38 although I think that's only relevant for ADSL. I'm kind of fresh out of ideas now, are you sure that the picture breakup is due to the incorrect setup? Do you get the same issues when you connect the Hub One? 

Having said that, looking at your connection, there are a lot of drops which will be affecting your speeds:

I'd personally progress this as a fault investigation and report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer to investigate this further. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nealenapier
Dabbler

The internet drops are me restarting the router, trying different settings. When I swap the old router back I get perfect IPTV, literally perfect, not a sign of picture or sound breakup. Do you know if the vlans for IPTV and internet should be different? I'm also running out of ideas, but something is not right, it's like its dropping packets or something.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the clarification @nealenapier 

Yeah it does seem the issue to lie with the settings of the router in that case. 

I've discussed this with a couple of colleagues and we're not really sure what else to suggest to be honest, it's well beyond our own knowledge. Sad It may be worth seeing/hoping someone from the community comes along and has an answer.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

@nealenapier 

May be of no help, but on a BT forum

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Netgear-R7000-Youview/m-p/1457116#M18257

Message 8 says

"Re: Netgear R7000 - Youview

Firmware 1.7.0.2 on the Netgear R7000 works.

You need to go into advanced setup/WAN setup and remove the tick from Disable IGMP Proxying

Then tick Support British Telecom (BT)IGMP Proxying

Click on Apply at the top and the router will reboot.

BT TV started working for me after those steps."

nealenapier
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly there is no specific BT IGMP setting on my router/modem. There is only 1 setting related to IGMP on the WAN page.(see attached)

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Have you tried telling the router that your IP provider is BT. That might bring up the option.

nealenapier
Dabbler

Thanks and good point. Yes I did try that. I'm currently experimenting with using the Netgear as a wireless access port and connecting a lan cable from the hub one to WAN port on the netgear. The youview box is still conneected on ethernet cable from the netgear. This gives a perfect picture on IPTV but keeps cutting out. There is no actual internet outage. A channel change brings the picture back again. So not a solution and not a great use of a powerful modem/router.

nealenapier
Dabbler

One thought. Is someone from plusnet or community able to provide a config file from the older hub zero router? http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html I believe this has all the settings in an unencrypted file, that I can then look at. PLEASE REMOVE ANY SENSITIVE INFO SUCH AS PASSWORDS AND USERNAMES

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from TV to Tech Help for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nealenapier
Dabbler

Quick update. Don't bother with D7000v2 for IPTV. Managed to get a refund and bought an Asus DSL-AC68U. Worked first time with a perfect picture. No need for a dedicated lan port for IPTV either. The UI is so much better, better logs, traffic analysis etc. Oh and the support is completely different mustard. No battling with queue busters who barely know what IPTV (multicast) actually is, straight through to someone that gave me the exact setup article for my particular router. Chalk and Cheese.