Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix, Amazon, but not Sky Go. Why?

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Netflix, Amazon, but not Sky Go. Why?

With three of my children each subscribing in turn to Netflix, Amazon and Sky Go this 'poor pensioner' is fortunate to be able to piggy back onto their accounts in order to watch them on his new smart television - except for Sky Go, which stubbornly refuses to work unless I connect via a HDMI which of course make the whole idea of having a WiFi enabled television pointless as far as Sky is concerned.

Any ideas of a way around this or am I stuck with watching Sky Go on either my Kindle or laptop. Really puzzled as to why Netflix and Amazon, yet not Sky Go.    

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
3 REPLIES 3
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Netflix, Amazon, but not Sky Go. Why?

Fix

Looking at the Sky help and support and reading some posts on their community about it.. it doesn't look like smart TVs are supported by Sky Go Sad

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/can-i-access-sky-go-on-a-smart-tv/td-p/1367767

The 'supported devices' article seems to redirect to here:

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-go/what-would-you-like-help-with

The only thing I can think of is to hook up a laptop via HDMI to your TV. Not the best solution as I would also expect an app to be available for smart TVs but this doesn't look like they have made an app for that type of device.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Really puzzled as to why Netflix and Amazon, yet not Sky Go.    

It's simple really, Sky don't want you to be able to use one account to view on multiple TV's, they want you to pay them more!

Also AFAIK Sky GO prevents using HDMI, Chromecast and Airplay from a tablet. Seems like you CAN use HDMI from a laptop though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I used to use a tesco HUDL tablet: it had an HDMI out, but sky Now wouldn't work via the HDMI.

I believe I have used Sky Now on a laptop, with an "external HDMI screen" = TV.

Yes, it's all about making people pay more to use sky on a TV!