cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbook impressions?

Destrike
Dabbler

Netbook impressions?

Evening people Smiley figured I'd get your views on some of the latest Netbooks on the market (lil laptops basically)..
No long ordered a Samsung NC10 from the DIxons site.. after a good few days of youtubing/review reading and found for £308 with its mobility and its battery life too good to pass up (7 hours light usage apparently, 4-5 hours heavy).. BUT it's considered a Christmas gift.. and despite being in my 20's I know for a fact I'm going to be like a 10 year old sneaking peeks here and there up until the the 25th.. SO just wondering on others views, and possibly experiences with these little beauties Cheesy (Netbooks in general).
19 REPLIES 19
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Netbook impressions?

ChillyPenguin uses one a lot and I use mine when on hols and trips,  mine has every thing I want on it except a nornal keyboard. Its Linux.
Got Open office complete, Firefox browser, Thunderbid e-mail. WiFi, Ethernet,  Video player, Music player, simple games, webcam, 3xUSB, Card Slot. and on and on
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How about:- http://www.pcworld.com/article/153985/olpc_give_1_get_1_laptop_program_now_available_on_amazon.html

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chillypenguin
Grafter

I am typing this on my eeePC, its a great `little` machine. Mine is one of the first 7" screen models. I would recommended that unless cost is a overriding factor you go for a minimum of 10" screen.
The keyboard is `normal` but small, so not great for fat fingers, and some of the keys have been relocated to fit things in, but then I am used to laptops and use a Sun keyboard at home.
In the past I have both recommend them and told people to save up a bit more and buy a proper laptop. It really depends on your planned usage.
But for keeping in contact and bit of word processing / office documents they're fine.
Gaming would be a no go.
To type this I am connected via mobile broadband, and the Huawei E172 was just plug in, answer a few simple questions (namely which operator) and it was working!
zubel
Community Veteran

I also bought my daughter one of the early 7" models and it's absolutely brilliant for her.
She can do her schoolwork on it, surf the net (including sites like Youtube etc.) listen to music, and it's still very very portable and runs forever on a single charge.
B.
Destrike
Dabbler

good to know everyone has good things to say of them Smiley I already have a laptop (that needs me to resolder the power connecter and replace teh HDD), the NC10 will mostly be for busses/trains, sat downstairs watching tv, or in bed etc.. was going to get one of those Archos Media players.. but can get one of these for pretty much the same price and a longer battery life Cheesy
Been looking into mobile internet (the area around here is a little erratic.. some patches get the BB 3g signal, others don't), and I'm not often away from a connection of some sort.. so I dont think I'll be paying the monthly subscription until the price comes down or theres pay as you go options out there Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am an extravagant person, Have an Archos 705 got a lot of storage on it,  currently over 70hr video (Mpeg4) and hundreds of MP3's.  the input of text and browsing is difficult as it uses a noddy on screen keyboard.  It has an Opera browser and different usb ports, plus a plug on media extra, TV connection etc.
Also got an original Eeepc4G 7" same as Chilly, internal storage not much, Wifi and sniffer good - (as is the Archos)  so I use the Archos as mainly a media centre and the Eee as an internet  when away, doesnt take up much room in the car for both of them, Dont know about Ryan Air limits though - might be to heavy for him Kiss Grin Grin
I did also got an external DVD for the Eee, worked first time, now got a 500g media disc from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221816&C=Newsletter&U=08P12-7_A90HJ&T=11946872 lovely But it wouldnt output Mpeg4 to TV only Mpeg2 currently converting them
Both plugged straight in Plug and play no trouble
Destrike
Dabbler

haha good to know I'm not the only gadget mad person here then Cheesy  I was tempted into picking up an archos.. but realized my psp has a longer last time for video playback etc, and converting doesn't take all that long.. and I have my DS for mp3's and light gaming etc.. the NC10 Netbook is gonna be my "inbetween" tho Smiley so I can watch stuff on the go, jot down notes and some VERY light graphic design ideas I have :), read comics, listen to music, play a few emulated games etc etc
...can you tell I'm getting excited? lol
alanb
Grafter

I'm very happy with my Asus eee 701.
But I only use it for basic tasks when I'm away from home. It works well for me, but I have Linux on my home workstations so it's very compatible. I'm not sure if that would still be true if I was using say Windows/ MS Office/Outlook on my main system.
alanb
Grafter

Also meant to say that I like the eee because it reminds me of of a brilliant tiny Toshiba notebook I had in the mid 1990's. I think the Tosh might have been a tad smaller, but it was a lot thicker than the eee.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I use linux on  the Eee and XP at home, normally transfer with a memory stick, no problem
Santiago
Grafter

When I was in the US recently I saw these these and was very tempted but managed to resist.
Then I saw this the other day which is even a better deal. The mail in rebate is $70. Unfortunately the strong dollar doesn't make these as cheap as they would have been in the summer.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

staples link not working correct
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I use linux on  the Eee and XP at home, normally transfer with a memory stick, no problem

I wouldn't expect any major problems. If I had Windows, I think my main concern would be with transferring docs btween MS Office and the slightly old version of Openoffice on the eee. Though, admittedly, that's only likely to be an issue with very complex docs.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
staples link not working correct

That is strange
I tested it when I was posting and I just rechecked it and it open for me.
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p17__255127_1_Business_Supplies_10051_true_SC3:CG71:DP4118:CL...